Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#747 - 02/20/15 07:49 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description [Re: TE]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
I'm not sure where TE got this info from and if it's current info it is subject to change this year. Depends on what opening PJ, CCT, TACP, CRO. STO AFSCs to women brings with it.

Regardless I would consider the criteria, other than the 500m swim, to be the pass the Development course standard. The 500m fin swim does give me some concern to question as the no fin 500m swim used on PAST required to get into the course is 10:07. It's 11:42 for the CCT PAST and 14:00 for the SOWT PAST.

#773 - 02/22/15 05:59 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description [Re: TE]  
mw382009 Offline
Apprentice
mw382009  Offline
Apprentice

Barksdale, LA
@Torres-

This is the final eval for the DEV course (or very close to it). Throughout the two week course, you will learn from the cadre in an environment more suitable for learning i.e. not as many drops, if any and less "extra" training. The cadre will be more open to questions and eager to help you if you're willing to help yourself. They will go in-depth on finning techniques, underwaters, mask and snorkel recoveries etc. All applicable skills to Indoc will be covered. Do your research and arrive above the standard.

MW

--this comes from personal experience on on ballz 13-001

#1630 - 08/07/15 09:50 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description [Re: Yukon]  
mike4N Offline
FNG
mike4N  Offline
FNG

Virginia,USA
Yukon,

I already have my NREMT-B through the AF 4N0 program. Will I be required to take EMT again or can I test against it to be accelerated to EMT-P.

#1631 - 08/07/15 10:34 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description [Re: mike4N]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: mike4N
Yukon,

Will I be required to take EMT again or can I test against it to be accelerated to EMT-P.
If you have a current EMT-Basic there is no requirement to accomplish the initial NEMT-Basic certification exam.

However the accelerated to EMT-P course is a bit complicated as the core task knowledge and proficiencies include in the 4-week EMT-basic course include a bit more learning exposure than is required to get the EMT-B for the 4N career field.

I suggest getting familiar with the 3-level core skill requirements in CFETP 1T2XX pages 37 thru 40 and consider what skill and knowledge may be taught in the EMT-B course that is needed for the Paramedic course.

The perspective needing consideration is although an EMT-B course was successfully completed and current EMT-B certification is possessed refresher knowledge and proficiency training likely needed by 4Ns who seldom utilizes such EMT skills in typical duty assignments. Further the PJ EMT-B course emphasizes a bit more knowledge and higher task skill proficiencies than encountered in most other EMT-B courses. It is difficult to give concise demarcation of what in taught in the PJ EMT-B course vs the PJ EMT-Paramedic course other than both courses emphasize knowledge and task skill proficiency performance competencies in the austere day/night tactical field environment in many climatic and weather conditions.

Also typical of 4Ns, especially AFSC 4N0X1F, no situational awareness, this question is more appropriate to the PJ Apprentice course forum and not an out dated old Development Course forum. Current Development Course Info found http://specialtactics.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1126/Pararescue_(PJ)_Development_Co.html#Post1126. I also just added the PJ EMT-B and PJ EMT-Paramedic Course descriptions in a subforum of the PJ Apprentice Course Forum.

Quote:
Registration Instructions: EMT-B Program Director and staff will handle all registration procedures for this training. Students with current National Registry EMT-Basic certification may bypass this course provided they can produce EMT-Basic course certification documents and are in possession of current certifications as National Registry EMT-Basic and Health Care Provider Basic Life Support Provider.

and

Registration Instructions: EMT-P Program Director and staff will handle all registration procedures for this training. Students with current National Registry EMT-Basic and Paramedic certifications may bypass this course provided they can produce EMT-B/P certification required documents and are current with their certifications.

#1638 - 08/08/15 03:02 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description [Re: TE]  
Irb123 Offline
FNG
Irb123  Offline
FNG

Florida
Sooooo...they will let you bypass the course if you have BOTH NREMT-B and NREMT-P? I didn't see an and/or there. If that's the case, I don't really understand the point of requiring NREMT-B if you're certified as a paramedic. I couldn't think of any possible incentive to keeping my NREMT-B other than in case you lose your paramedic license, so I let it lapse. Guess the joke is on me!

#1639 - 08/08/15 04:01 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old [Re: TE]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
The EMT-B course, even in the civilian arena, focuses on a lot of immediate response entry into an incident area, moving the dead and injured, and triage that the paramedic course presumes the individual emergency medic is competent and proficient in doing.

The paramedic course focuses on much more advanced surgical intervention and treatments.

I emphasized 'may' in red as the course description is insufficient in identifying the level of competency and proficiency the PJ student, and not necessarily the 4N student, is expected to be able to perform at after completing the required courses for entry into the PJ apprentice course (the 4N completing these courses at the PJ School do not proceed into the PJ Apprentice course.

As far as the presumption "I let it lapse. Guess the joke is on me", such a leap is unreasonable. I've not kept abreast of NREMT certifications and recertification, they have changed over the years, but to get Paramedic does require completing the Basic course either separate from the initial Paramedic qualification program or as part of (incorporated into) the initial paramedic qualification program.

Pararescue doesn't use the certification as indicating level or quality of medical capability being provided to trauma patients, but rather to get access to continuation and proficiency training through memorandum of understanding agreements with high trauma volume EMSs and at trauma centers.

PJ Med-The Home of Pararescue Medicine is run by the current USAF (Board Certified) Emergency Medicine Physician in charge of Pararescue medical programs. The media page has a few links concerning hands-on continuation and proficiency training. Also Intro to PJ Medicine­ PJ MED. <---

Quote:
1. PJ MED guidelines built from medical guidelines, but modified based on what is practical and feasible for the environment or situation, with the skills and training a PJ has

2. Generally based on Consensus or Expert Opinion, SOCOM ATP (Advanced Tactical Paramedic) and TCCC Guidelines, TCCC, Wilderness Medical Principles, etc. But PJ MED goes beyond this as needed to do our job, and is a unique type of medicine related to Rescue

3. Use meds and gear which have multiple uses, and take up the smallest cube and lightest weight possible

4. Interventions are created to be the response to specific physical findings or injuries­ checklist based to give you the principles you need to adapt to other situations

5. Diagnostic and therapeutic maneuvers are focused on the most likely injuries and illnesses

6. Training should be progressive so first the cognitive skills are learned, then the skills and knowledge are practiced thru drills/ table top/ etc. and then practiced in scenario based training

7. Treatment is well defined so the PJ will know his limits and be confident he has performed all care he can

8. Perform medical care as time and tactics permit

9. Perform advanced procedures you have been trained on and are comfortable with

I've not written much of pararescue's contribution to developing EMT certifications in the civilian arena as much of the source documentation got destroyed when the archive storing it ended up twenty feet under water back ca. 2000.

On the other hand, former HQ ARS Command Surgeon Clifford J. Buckley, USAF, MC. FS is still alive to recreate the history if I can ever convince him to do so.

The short summary is even prior to the Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic (MAST) Program (1969) and Public Law 93-54, EMS Systems Act of 1973", the Air Force's Air Rescue Service (subsequently Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Service) command surgeons and a few PJs were directly involved in setting up several State EMT certification programs during the 1960s and early 1970s. Ohio and Idaho are two I know of for certain.

Attached Files
National Registry 2013 NL_Brown retires.pdf (5 downloads)
NREMT Executive Director Bill Brown to Retire in May 2013, he was a PJ prior to getting involved with the NREMT.
Last edited by Yukon; 08/08/15 04:49 PM.
#2904 - 04/25/17 02:49 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old [Re: TE]  
JustaTrainee Offline
FNG
JustaTrainee  Offline
FNG

New York
Hello, currently I am waiting for dates to begin BMT and a buddy waiting to begin Dev course in may. However, I have heard rumor from guys in the pipeline now that the May class is going to be pushed to July and a new prep course will be implemented that consists of 8 weeks and all BA AFSCs. Just wondering how much rumor this is or if it's going to happen. So take this info with a grain of salt anyone pursue the pararescue career.

#2906 - 04/25/17 03:31 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old [Re: TE]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
The rumor may be true as changes have been expected with the June 2, 2016 activation of the BA Training Group. I'll have to ask myself to get confirmation.

Subordinate to the 37th Training Wing the new BA Group consolidated all the BA initial skills courses and training pipelines under its three new and subordinate training squadrons. Apparently, for the rumor to have any substance, all the new organizational actions have been completed.

Among the initiatives of this reorganization is an initiative to reduce reclassification losses of BA applicants by merging the current TACP Prep Course, CCT-SOW Selection Course and PJ Development Course into one course.

The concept somewhat relies on cost saving idea of one course gives better utilization of need for less instructors and support staff and more efficient scheduled use of pool and other training areas.

For example the BA group gained ownership and operations control of the Chapman pool which is now has primary utilization purpose to train CRO, STO, PJ, CCT, SOW, TACP students. The Skylark pool is used to train SERE and EOD (not BA AFSCs) and for other base recreation uses.

#2907 - 04/25/17 05:36 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old [Re: TE]  
SSvo Offline
FNG
SSvo  Offline
FNG

Hampton, Virginia
I have submitted for TDY as a crosstrainee and am in the same boat of waiting for instruction from the school house on if I'm reporting next month or in July. Hoping the school house releases something soon but also I am aware the planning and implementation of something on this scale would be a tremendous effort. Either way this I look forward to the outcome!

Last edited by SSvo; 04/25/17 05:42 PM.
#2911 - 04/25/17 08:57 PM Re: CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old [Re: TE]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
The rumor is applicable only to NPS proceeding into BA initial skills training upon completing BMT.

The course is called the BA Preparatory Program. It will be about 8 weeks in length and encompase all the enlisted BA AFSCs (PJ, CCT, SOW, TACP). SERE and EOD are not BA AFSCs and this program has no connection to those AFSCs.

It is roughly similar to the Navy's pre BUDs program. The instructing cadre will initially be contracted Division 1 College coaches.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  IndocCommandant 

Popular Topics(Views)