Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3931 Members
62 Forums
946 Topics
3022 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 287528
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 143446
TAPAS required? 55430
Age and going for SF 35558
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 33847
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 31709
Length of pipeline training 28764
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 23618
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 23502
Reserves 23090
Topic Options
#2062 - 02/20/16 07:47 AM No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)?
Torres Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Misawa Air Base, Japan
Hello all,

I understand that their are no SOWT-O's anymore. My question is this: Can a weather officer participate in SOWT duties, without having the SOWT-O title?

I don't know if there are any current weather officers who were allowed to attend jump school, sere, or any additional training, and deem them combat weathermen opposed to SOWTs.

I really want to be a SOWT but I also really want to be an officer.

In advance, thank you.

#2063 - 02/20/16 10:38 AM Re: No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)? [Re: Torres]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Air Force weather support to the Army has a lack of a definitive history to give any useful answer to your question.

Although there was a handful of weather people running around Laos during the 1960s and early 1970s calling themselves special operations or rather air commando weathermen there was no particular training involved above and beyond what combat weather teams were given.

I'm fact the weather beret indicated a combat weather, not special operations weather who were on jump orders in a support the army position requiring individual in such position to be on jump status.

The SOWT officer AFSC became obsolete before it was established as utilization didn't differ from duties performed on the conventional combat weather teams combined with the STSs having abundance of STOs, CROS and 13L ALOs negating the need for weather officers.

#2342 - 06/21/16 02:37 AM Re: No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)? [Re: Torres]
Torres Offline
Apprentice

I was scrolling through social media today and came across the AFSOC page and they highlighted the late Lt. Col Shroeders memorial at Arlington. Let me just say first, there are no words to accurately say how sorry I am. This is still very new but I wanted to show respect to his family and of course, Lt. Col Shroeder.

When looking at the photo, I noticed a captain with a grey beret. This brings me to many questions but primarily, how? I thought the 15wx(c), AFSC was obsolete. Are these personnel who were grandfathered in? I also came across this article and it depicts the pipeline for a weather officer who will attend special operations training.

https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute...ction-training/

I am currently working on a bachelors in meteorology through Mississippi state university and they have an AFROTC program. I intend on applying to POC ERP and graduating/commissioning. If I can pursue weather officer and get special operations training, I very much would love to do that but it is very conflicting when I read that it is obsolete but see there are personnel who are doing what I want to do.

For anyone who can provide info, I thank you. I was also reading the CFETP for 15wx and in it, it says that in 2015 it has been phased out. I just don't know what the actual process is for current day pursuit of being an officer with a grey beret.

#2343 - 06/21/16 08:26 AM Re: No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)? [Re: Torres]
JohnG Offline
FNG

Loc: NM
Any SOWT-Os have been phased out. STO's have replaced them and lead the STS/SOF officer portion.

#2345 - 06/22/16 09:43 PM Re: No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)? [Re: Torres]
Torres Offline
Apprentice

I get that much. Where my confusion is there are still officers in the Air Force at this point in time that are still wearing the grey beret so somewhere it hasn't been completely phased out or they wouldn't be wearing the beret. I know STOs command. I'm just looking for the answer that explains how these weather officers are still wearing the grey beret if, in fact, the SOWT-O AFSC is obsolete which makes me think they were grandfathered in?

#2347 - 06/23/16 02:36 PM Re: No SOWT-O...but perhaps CWX(O)? [Re: Torres]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
The gray beret was initially approved as a Weather Parachutist supporting the Army Duty position/assignment beret.

To meet the Army's weather support requirements in contingencies and wars, certain corps and division weather team members had to be parachute qualified--be able to jump with the airborne units they supported. However, the mission capability requirement for weather parachutists was never in great demand. In December 1972, AWS had twenty-seven jump qualified people. Most were assigned with the 7th Weather Squadron in Germany and eight were assigned with the 5th Weather Wing's Detachment 75 at Eglin AFB's Hurlburt Field in support of Air Force and Army Special Forces.

There is no actual capability existence of special operations weather prior to 7 October 1988. This is when The Army’s Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) approved concept of operations for Army Special Operations Forces weather support drawn up by AWS. Concept would be incorporated into the new joint Army-Air Force manual, 34-81/AFM 105-4.

However, during period 1962 thru to about 1972 there were about 10 weather people assigned to Laos and Cambodia doing special operations. There was actually no formal screening, selection or required special training required for these ten. It was all impromptu training and based on random sampling selection of available weather personnel.

Kith R. Grimes, Special Operations Weatherman, An Oral Autobiography, is the most comprehensive and detailed info to be found concerning this group.

Combat Weather Team support to the Army in form of combat weather teams however existed since Air Force was given this support to the Army requirement in 1947. Prior to the 1974 formation of a Ranger Battalion and subsequently the 75th Ranger Regiment was designated in February 1986, the only "special" weather duty assignments was those duty positions supporting Army Special Forces.

In Vietnam it was the Det 31, 5th Weather Squadron combat weather teams (conventional) supporting 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and conventional combat weather teams supporting other Army units.

The Air Weather Service, prior to 1985, held position weather parachutists to include special operations weather wasn't needed because of the limited useful weather collection data and information these parachutist could gather compared to satellite and other airborne weather sampling and technology capabilities. Forecasting requires data gathering beyond what is gathered in an immediate objective area.

Moderator:  IndocCommandant 
Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Van, BC15, Russ83, civ_into_mil, Jose3012
3931 Registered Users