Next Thread
Print Thread
#2572 - 10/04/16 05:10 AM Reserves?  
rpsls42 Offline
FNG
rpsls42  Offline
FNG

Connecticut
Does anyone know much about Pararescue in the reserves? There's this on the AF reserve site but it doesn't give much information.

Is the pipeline the same as active duty? And what is life like once you're in?

#2573 - 10/04/16 10:10 AM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
ShortyZ99 Offline
Apprentice
ShortyZ99  Offline
Apprentice

Virginia
Same pipeline as active duty.

Slots are competitive in the guard/reserve. You have to remain proficient in all the same skills, so the time is usually above the 1 weekend a month two weeks a year deal. You will maintain a civilian job outside of your reserve duties (unless you are independently wealthy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdaNjBWWO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gppaO-Nk3WA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVrotlTOwTg

#2577 - 10/04/16 10:25 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: ShortyZ99]  
rpsls42 Offline
FNG
rpsls42  Offline
FNG

Connecticut
What would the difference be between being a PJ in the reserves vs national guard?

#2578 - 10/05/16 10:36 AM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
ShortyZ99 Offline
Apprentice
ShortyZ99  Offline
Apprentice

Virginia
Essentially guard units are run by the state while reserves are run by the federal govt. They are very similar in time commitment and nature of the job just under different command and pot of money for funding.

#2819 - 03/15/17 01:05 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
ksmc626 Offline
FNG
ksmc626  Offline
FNG

Washington DC
Question about going from the reserves to active special forces. I'm going into the reserves in the DEP and won't get my ship dates to basic and tech school until around September-December due to my clearance. After I finish tech school however, I want to go into possibly joining the PJ or CCT. What are some of the steps that would happen if it's possible? (Do I have to resign to go active or will I have to resign to go active after I've completed the pipeline?)

#2821 - 03/15/17 02:45 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
First off Special Forces is a group of several U.S. Army 18 series MOS. The only SF the Air Force has is Security Forces.

Secondly and more importantly, if you aren't in Air Force Reserve DEP for a Battlefield Airman AFSC (PJ, CCT, SOW, TACP) you are not enlisting in the reserves to be entry classified into any of those jobs.

Best be talking to your AF Reserve recruiter as you are absolutely and completely clueless on the entry classification process considering there are very few units of assignment options for the Battlefield Airman AFSCs in the AF Reserves and same is so for the Air Guard.

#2823 - 03/15/17 03:10 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: Yukon]  
ksmc626 Offline
FNG
ksmc626  Offline
FNG

Washington DC
What I meant from Special Forces was essentially the Special Operations of the Air Force.

So you're saying that, I can't request to become a PJ or CCT after I've finished tech school and returned to my duty station in the reserves?

I'm not asking to be a reservist PJ or CCT, I'm just wondering if it's possible to transition into one of those from the reserves to active.

#2824 - 03/15/17 08:21 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
Your enlistment obligation with the Air Force Reserves would need to be released by the Air Force Reserves in order to be eligible to enlist in the Regular Air Force. If released prior to serving your AF Reserve enlistment obligation you will be doing so with status of either previous service (unlikely) or prior service.

There is no such status processing of being transitioned from the reserve components (AF Reserve/Air Guard) into the Regular Air Force (active duty) with concurrent exit classification out of current AFSC with entry classification into a new AFSC.

#2931 - 05/07/17 03:27 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
JS Offline
FNG
JS  Offline
FNG

Mississippi
Is AST required for the rescue squadrons? If so how long is AST?

#2936 - 05/11/17 12:49 PM Re: Reserves? [Re: rpsls42]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
Special Tactics Advanced Skills Training aka AST is unique to assignment to an AFSOC or AFSOC gained (reserve component) Special Tactics Squadron. It is not applicable to Pararescue unless being assigned to an AFSOC or AFSOC gained STS.

AST is in most simplistic explanation a required formal in-residence 5-level and mission qualification upgrade course for Combat Control, Special Operation Weather, and TACP who volunteer for and get an AFSCOC assignment.

The actual required AST blocks of training do differ for each BA AFSC. The most visible difference is MFF qualification course and Combat Diver Qualification Course. Both MFF and CDQC is required for award and retention of Pararescue 3-level, 5-level, 7-level and 9-level AFSC. Combat Control has no MFF and CDQC requirement until award of and retention of 5-level, 7-level, and 9-level AFSC.

Go to Air Force Special Tactics (24 SOW) and click on the career field badges to gain some insight into AST as it applies to each career field assigned to an AFSOC duty position. Also read the AFECD BA AFSC descriptions and specific AFSC Career Field and Education Training Plan for required task and duty qualifications for award of and retention of skill level for each AFSC, they do differ.

FYI: ST TACPs are assigned to the 17th Special Tactics Squadron at Ft. Benning, Ga., Joint Base Lewis McChord, Tacoma, Wa., Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah, Ga., and all four active duty Special Tactics Squadrons located in the continental United States.

Pararescue attend AST for the AFSOC specific mission qualification training requirements. This differs from the RQS which does the Mission Qualification (AST's Operational Readiness Phase) thru in-unit OJT means with some exceptions.

Quote:
The Combat Control AST requirement description:

Special Tactics Advanced Skills Training, Hurlburt Field, Fla.- Advanced Skills Training (AST) is a 11-to-12-month program for newly assigned combat controller operators. AST produces mission-ready operators for the Air Force and United States Special Operations Command. The AST schedule is broken down into three phases: formal training, core skills, and operational readiness. The course tests the trainee's personal limits through demanding mental and physical training. Combat controllers also attend the following schools during AST: U.S. Army Military Free Fall Parachutist and U.S. Air Force Combat Divers School.

Due to ops tempo imposing resource constraints (time, manpower, and equipment that preclude desired training from being accomplished) there are new formal in-resident courses being established for Pararescue where the qualification requires the highest level of proficiencies and competency to do.

Examples:

68th RQF leads their first Rescue Jumpmaster Course

Guardian Angel Combat Leaders Course put into action

Popular Topics(Views)