Next Thread
Print Thread
#2576 - 10/04/16 09:58 PM Loss of Big Toe  
caceres9288 Offline
FNG
caceres9288  Offline
FNG

California, United States of A...
Im sorry if this question has already been answered,but I just need the clarification. I'm a athletic man that plays sports of all kinds since I was 7. The one thing that is stopping me to enlist is that I lost my right big toe from a work accident (but I still have my ball joint of my foot). But I still go hiking, running, and everything the same, people are actually surprised when I tell them that I have no big toe cause theres no show. But I've been researching and it says I can't enlist cause of it. I just need to know if there is another option or what? I appreciate any feed back.

Thank you

#2579 - 10/05/16 10:59 AM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
ShortyZ99 Offline
Apprentice
ShortyZ99  Offline
Apprentice

Virginia
I won't say its not possible...but its a long shot. Any missing appendage will be an automatic permanent disqualification at MEPS. This will 100% require a waiver. Waivers are a case by case thing. Get your medical documents together including all office notes, xrays, etc. and bring that to your recruiter. They will send these documents up the chain to determine if it is worth their time to send you up to MEPS. It will be a uphill battle to enlist and even more so if you plan on trying to get into a BA job. Good luck.

#2581 - 10/06/16 10:22 AM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
The standard for performing general military service is:

Quote:
DODI NUMBER 6130.03, Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services, April 28, 2010 Incorporating Change 1, September 13, 2011.

c. Foot and Ankle

(1) Current absence of a foot or any portion thereof (896).

(2) Absence of a single lesser toe or any portion thereof that is asymptomatic and does not impair function DOES meet the standard.

(3) Deformity of the toes (735.9) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, maintaining balance, or jumping.

(4) Symptomatic deformity of the toes (acquired (735) or congenital (755.66)), including but not limited to conditions such as hallux valgus (735.0), hallux varus (735.1), hallux rigidus (735.2), hammer toe(s) (735.4), claw toe(s) (735.5), or overriding toe(s) (735.8).

(5) Clubfoot (754.70) or pes cavus (754.71) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or causes symptoms when walking, marching, running, or jumping.

(6) Rigid or symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.61)).

(7) Current ingrown toenails (703.0), if infected or symptomatic.

(8) Current or history of recurrent plantar fasciitis (728.71).

(9) Symptomatic neuroma (355.6).

The issue pertinent to medical waivers is a waiver may be possible for general military service, but may not be possible for entry classification into a military occupation where static line, Military Free Fall parachuting, combat diver, and certain aircrew duties are inherently required to be performed for award and retention of AFSC.

The simplest occupational comparison would be TACP to Pararescue. As neither qualification to perform and mission readiness to perform military parachutist duties (Static line & MFF) and combat diver duties is required for award and retention of any TACP skill level AFSC, thus it is more possible and probable to get waiver for absence of large toe (the major toe on each foot) to entry classify into TACP than it is to get such waiver to entry classify into pararescue. The point being emphasizes is up hill has different steepness grades (high angles) that reach and become vertical when entry into BA classifications are being considered.

#2584 - 10/09/16 07:55 PM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
caceres9288 Offline
FNG
caceres9288  Offline
FNG

Thank guys, I appreciate all the feedback. It made me excited that theres still hope. So I have a better shot at getting a waiver for TACP rather than Pararescue? And its really up to the recruiter if they even want to do all that paper work right? (I also read about that online).

#2585 - 10/09/16 08:26 PM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
The recruiter is just the administrator that keeps track of waiver requests, if the situation/circumstances meet eligibility for a waiver to be submitted for approval/disapproval.

Your best indicator would be to find out how many waivers were given to be entry classified into Army or USMC foot marching not airborne designated infantry MOSs.

#2590 - 10/11/16 11:15 PM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
caceres9288 Offline
FNG
caceres9288  Offline
FNG

Ok. And I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, I just want to get the best info I can cause online researching doesn't really help me. So just to clarify, I still have a chance to enlist with a waiver if I can pass the MEPS medical requirements? I also might have a better chance at getting a waiver for TACP rather than Pararescue?

#2591 - 10/12/16 07:21 AM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: caceres9288
just to clarify, I still have a chance to enlist with a waiver if I can pass the MEPS medical requirements?
You are unable and cannot pass the MEPS medical requirements due to loss of big toe, thus the need for a medical waiver.

The PULHES profiles medical requirements are for determining fitness to perform duties of general military service which has lesser medical consideration criteria than the BA AFSCs have.

All the BA AFSCs have a 111111 PULHES requirement, but they all require additional medical examinations pertinent to performing core skill, tasks and required duties of the specific occupation. I have no data or info to correlate waiver possibilities or probabilities.

What I pointed out is inherent core skills and duty differences between two military occupation that may allow possibility for one military occupation more so than the possibility for than for another military occupation.

Complete loss of a thumb or big toe generally prevents entry job placement into any infantry occupation. How many waivers for absence of big toe have the US Army and USMC given to entry job placement somebody in to a infantry job?

#2593 - 10/14/16 05:08 PM Re: Loss of Big Toe [Re: caceres9288]  
caceres9288 Offline
FNG
caceres9288  Offline
FNG

Ok I get what your saying now, I had to research more. Thanks. So at least there is hope, it just might take a longer process?

Popular Topics(Views)