Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3799 Members
62 Forums
926 Topics
2955 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 251471
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 125978
TAPAS required? 48096
Age and going for SF 32505
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 30060
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 29810
Length of pipeline training 26015
FY 15 PJ/CCT/CRO/STO/SOWT Pipeline Course Dates 20907
Reserves 20484
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 20231
Topic Options
#2784 - 02/12/17 01:02 PM Jump pay
Hiawatha Offline
Apprentice

Loc: McGuire AFB
How does Jump pay work in the AF Reserve component?

#2786 - 02/16/17 06:56 AM Re: Jump pay [Re: Hiawatha]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'll have to research the pay manual as additional pay for duties such as jump, aircrew and dive pay paid per month depends on status of full time, part-time, or technician status. Never being a reservist has me lacking the personal experience to rely on for giving an answer.

#2789 - 02/16/17 03:39 PM Re: Jump pay [Re: Yukon]
Hiawatha Offline
Apprentice

I appreciate the response. I've glazed over some stuff, but haven't found specifics yet. I was active too, so learning the reserve processes is a strange beast. I'll go to jump school either this summer or next, so I wasn't sure if there even was a bonus the way they do on active duty.

#2792 - 02/17/17 03:59 AM Re: Jump pay [Re: Hiawatha]
Yukon Offline
Operator

No simple answer, particularly for those career AFSCs where performing parachutist duties is not inherently a primary duty for performing duties of the AFSC awarded. (I used career AFSC rather than duty AFSC to emphasize a few things explained below after the info from the DOD pay Manual.)

The actual reality forcing the jump pay to be prorated is connected to the reserve unit's access to availability of getting aircraft scheduled to jump from and if the scheduled jump doesn't get cancelled because of weather or aircraft scrubbing due to unexpected need for maintenance.

Quote:
Table 24-4. Parachute Jumps-Incentive Pay for Parachute Duty-Performance Requirements, note 1:

Incentive pay for parachute duty may be paid, provided prescribed requirements are met, only from the date of reporting for duty or training. If that day is other than the first day of a month, that month's rate of pay will be prorated in accordance with paragraph 240201.

Quote:
240202. Member of the Reserve Components

A. A member of the Reserve Components on extended active duty (EAD), who is ordered to perform any of the hazardous duties listed in subparagraph 240203, is entitled to pay based on the terms of this chapter.

B. A member of the Reserve Components on active duty training (ADT), who is ordered to perform any of the hazardous duties listed below, is entitled to pay based on paragraphs 570302 and 570401 and the terms of this chapter as affected by Table 24-1, rules 9 through 13.

AFI 11-410:

DAFSCs that are jump-inherent do not require a J prefix.

Quote:
3.4. Validating Permanent Parachute Positions Using Jump-Inherent Duty AFSCs. Certain Duty AFSCs (DAFSCs) require the performance of deliberate, regular, and recurring parachute duty to accomplish assigned missions. These DAFSCs are central to the ability of the USAF PPP to carry out its
assigned functions, and they provide a pool of qualified and current mission parachutists independent of the manpower positions in which they serve. In these cases, parachute duty is considered to be inherent to the DAFSC, and since positions are validated on the basis of recurring requirements, the intent of a J inherent position is that the member will maintain standards, qualification, and currency. Legitimate possession of a jump-inherent DAFSC constitutes a valid parachute position and exempts its holder from the
process described in paragraph 3.3.

3.4.1. Certain specialties require continuous parachute duty to accomplish the USAF PPP’s operational objective and to maintain award of the DAFSC. The following specialties are jump-inherent: 13DXX, 1C2XX, 1T2XX, and 1W0X1C (including AFSC transition to 1W0X2).

3.4.2. Permanent disqualification from parachute duty precludes service in a jump-inherent DAFSC.
Exceptions to policy are authorized by HQ USAF/A3O.

3.4.3. The exemption from position validation for jump-inherent DAFSCs does not extend beyond the DAFSC (i.e. secondary AFSC, tertiary AFSC, etc.).

3.4.4. While 1T0XX is not considered a J inherent DAFSC, members who hold the 1T0XX DAFSC require qualification to accomplish assigned USAF PPP objectives and are authorized to attend qualification training independent of the positions in which they currently serve. Members maintain active parachutist status, including currency, only when assigned to J coded positions or temporary parachute positions per paragraphs 3.3. and 3.5. The 1T0XX specialty is exempt from the requirements contained in paragraph 3.5.2.

#2793 - 02/17/17 10:24 AM Re: Jump pay [Re: Yukon]
Hiawatha Offline
Apprentice

Hmmm interesting. I wonder how exactly the pro rate will translate? If I work 6 days out of 30 in a month I would assume I get 6/30 of the standard pay?

I will be J coded, so I am sure I will be able to maintain jump status and jump as needed.

As I delve further in, and get more info, I will update this thread with the layman's terms of how it works once I see first hand.

Thanks Yukon for the information. Greatly appreciated!

#2794 - 02/17/17 11:31 AM Re: Jump pay [Re: Hiawatha]
Yukon Offline
Operator

I have no clue of how it's prorated as the pay manual doesn't give me enough info. I do know in the RQS units the jumps needed to get not pro rated pay typically get accomplished. No clue about the Guard and AF Reserve STS units.

Although the position in a SERE coded duty position is J coded, such positions still have to get scheduled onto aircraft to do the jumps. For example although my career was active duty, during my MAJCOM assignments I was affiliated with another unit to get my flight time and jumps.

While assigned to HQ AMC I was affiliated assigned to an Army Helicopter Reserve unit that was a tenant unit on Scott AFB. When I flew I typically was performing flying crew chief (flight Engineer) duties unless unit was tasked to fly a rescue/medevac mission.

While assigned to HQ ACC I was affiliated assigned to the 1st Helicopter Detachment that at the time was a Huey helicopter tenant unit on Langley AFB. At both assignments I was authorized to fly on any Air Guard and AF Reserve fixed wing aircraft as primary aircrew for maintaining and sustaining my aircrew (NVG, Gunner) and jump proficiencies. I typically also jumped with the SERE personnel assigned to the MAJCOMs. I had a bit more priority in getting aircraft than the SERE guys did which is why they made me their BFF for jump purposes.

Find some military pay finance person to ask.

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (Joe_20), 6 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
JHollis, manu, dustinw, caylac, upstream
3799 Registered Users