Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3745 Members
62 Forums
910 Topics
2927 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 232733
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 117198
TAPAS required? 44528
Age and going for SF 31010
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 29109
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 28203
Length of pipeline training 24676
FY 15 PJ/CCT/CRO/STO/SOWT Pipeline Course Dates 20356
Reserves 19271
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 18874
Topic Options
#2820 - 03/15/17 11:45 AM Slots for CCT this fiscal year?
Jay_Pew Offline
Apprentice

Loc: USA
Hello everyone! I'm currently a SrA in the ANG and I've been in the process of trying to switch to the active duty and have the opportunity to cross train into Combat Control since around October of 2015. After many delays and set backs, I finally had my request to enter the active duty and to retrain sent to AFRS about a month and a half ago by an AD recruiter I'm working with. I've been ready to go physically and mentally for some time now, so I'm extremely eager to get to training. I was told initially that hearing back on a date was a pretty quick turnaround. Unfortunately it's been about 7 weeks, and about a week ago the recruiter sent a formal request to AFRS asking about how long it will take to hear back. She was told that AFRS is in the process of converting non prior service slots into prior service slots to accept more prior service trainees, but they are waiting on word from the Career Firld Manager for final approval. Unfortunately no time frame was given to the recruiter. Would anyone here happen to have some additional knowledge on the subject?

And additionally I was considering trying to directly contact the Career Field Manager. I had already spoken with the Pipeline Manager but he wasn't able to give me any information. Would anyone be able to provide that information as well?

#2822 - 03/15/17 12:50 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
You can and could contact the CFM (unlikely to yield any useful info), but the process of converting entry classification requirements from no-prior service to prior service is not a simple process as it involves significant manpower funding changes that the CFM must justify and coordinate through HQ AF.

The suggestion of Air Force Recruiting Service (AFRS) is in the process of converting non prior service slots into prior service slots to accept more prior service trainees is extremely misleading.

AFRS has extremely limited, if any, influence or ability to meddle in converting manpower requirements by its own whims and choices. Be aware manpower requirements that AFRS gets to put new hire (no-prior service) and rehire (prior service) enlistment seekers into is coordinated and determined outside of the AFRS organization.

Any manpower requirements converting, if it happens, will not result in any significant numbers of increased quotas for prior service applicants.

The whole of the manpower that comprises the numbers of individuals needed to preform duties of the AFSC is constrained by authorized end strengths, established grade distribution and other guidelines as directed by Congress and the Department of the Air Force. This is why AFRS is awaiting word from the AF career field/functional manager who determines the justification and coordinates any such manpower requirement with HQ AF to get such changes approved.

Tied into complicating such manpower decisions is what is the impact (1) retrain opportunities for current active duty FTA and (2) on retention of already trained and qualified FTA seeking to get the needed CJR to reenlist and continue to be there to perform duties of the AFSC which includes increasingly more demanding performance of NCO duties. This oversimplified explanation connects to grade distribution and grade being connected to having the commensurate skill level and other additional qualifications and experience.

Quote:
AFI38-201 MANAGEMENT OF MANPOWER REQUIREMENTS AND AUTHORIZATIONS

Manpower is not a program by itself which can be manipulated apart from the programs it supports.

#2825 - 03/17/17 02:39 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Yukon]
Jay_Pew Offline
Apprentice

Yukon, thank you for all that info. I had no idea how much goes into such a change. I spoke with my recruiter again today and the big take away I got was that there needs to attention brought to the CFM/ FM by people who want the slots to show there is a need for such a change. So I wouldn't entirely be opposed to contact him to kind of plead my case and show I'm a capable Airman whose ready for training, and more importantly that there are many others in the same boat asI am ready to go an just waiting on dates.

#2826 - 03/19/17 12:12 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
Yukon Offline
Operator

You either didn't understand the recruiter or the recruiter gave you misleading info.

Converting manpower slots doesn't happen because potential applicants are petitioning the CFM/FM.

A need of the Air Force must exist. Further doing such conversions unless a mission need exists has negative consequences on the AFSCs enlisted force structure as it overloads grade with skill level imbalance in the second enlistment force structure and perhaps the enlisted career force structure.

Also increasing prior service numbers takes from the currently on active duty retraining quotas.

To a lesser degree it also negatively impacts numbers of available Career Job Reservations (CJR) needed to retain First Term Airman already in the AFSC desiring to reenlist.

Managing manpower authorized to an AFSC is bit more complicated than making arguments to the CFM/FM that you should be given a quota. These decisions are not made for needs of any specific individual but rather on mission needs of the Air Force.

#2836 - 03/22/17 02:17 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Yukon]
Jay_Pew Offline
Apprentice

So today I was notified 10 PS slots just opened for CCT. My package was resubmitted and hopefully I'll hear back really soon. I guess they pulled off converting those slots!

#2841 - 03/23/17 05:00 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Good luck in getting 1 of the 10 PS slots.

#2846 - 03/29/17 01:49 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
Jay_Pew Offline
Apprentice

Got a date! Reporting to Lackland July 21st!

#2849 - 03/31/17 04:35 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
nitrohuck Offline
FNG

Loc: VT
I wonder if you and I will be going through CCSC together,

I get out of BMT July 6th, and I'm guessing CCSC doesn't start on a weekly basis so I'll probably be hanging around for 2 weeks and starting with you on the 21st,

#2852 - 04/01/17 02:29 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: nitrohuck]
Jay_Pew Offline
Apprentice

That totally makes sense! If that's the case than fantastic! I've already gotten in touch with one PS trainee who I know is going to the same course. Do your best to stay in shape while in BMT, take every opportunity for extra PT.

#2856 - 04/02/17 06:39 PM Re: Slots for CCT this fiscal year? [Re: Jay_Pew]
nitrohuck Offline
FNG

Loc: VT
awesome,

shootin you a PM

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (ksgraham29), 16 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danlidd, A0302, Ngraber, Aphardinge, zachaney
3745 Registered Users