Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3727 Members
62 Forums
909 Topics
2926 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 231049
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 116314
TAPAS required? 44223
Age and going for SF 30875
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 29040
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 28051
Length of pipeline training 24562
FY 15 PJ/CCT/CRO/STO/SOWT Pipeline Course Dates 20311
Reserves 19157
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 18734
Topic Options
#2851 - 04/01/17 05:49 AM Weight training for indoc and shorter guys in the pipeline?
alexng30 Offline
FNG

Loc: TX
Hey guys, so I'm a HS senior PJ hopeful and I have some questions about training for indoc. I know that the majority of PJ and any other special forces training is mostly cals, running, and swimming, bUT I'm wondering how useful it would be to add weights.

I basically have absolutely no experience with weights at all and I'm worried that I won't be able to cut it on whatever strength-based exercises I encounter during indoc. I have my swimming training sorted out (competitive swimmer) and I'm working on cals and running.

Also, what are your experiences with shorter guys going through the pipeline and do you have any tips for them? I'm a 5'6", 135-140 lb Asian guy so I'm don't exactly come to mind when someone thinks of a special forces operator.

#2853 - 04/02/17 09:18 AM Re: Weight training for indoc and shorter guys in the pipeline? [Re: alexng30]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Plenty of 5'6" have made it through all the required training over the years. It would be difficult to identify a race or culture that hasn't had a member of that culture successfully make it through all the required training.

While I do not discourage weight training one must consider adding unnecessary muscle bulk does negatively impact other areas of functional fitness particularly when activities require endurance and significant many miles overland on foot travel through rugged terrain (swamps, mud, thick vegetation, lots of up and down slope movement) carrying much equipment weight.

#2854 - 04/02/17 09:36 AM Re: Weight training for indoc and shorter guys in the pipeline? [Re: Yukon]
alexng30 Offline
FNG

Thanks for the reply! I guess what I'm worried about is finding an effective medium. I don't want excessive muscle bulk; however, I'm worried about not having the "raw strength" to fireman carry my buddy or drag the dummy across the ground.

Also, I know that this is off topic, but is the only way for a new enlistee to get to PJ indoc right out of BMT the GTEP? I'm working to remove all thoughts of quitting/failing out of my head, but in the event I don't make a cut, I'd rather not have the airforce just shove me wherever they need me. I have a friend who's an e6 and he said that a good contingency plan would be to sign an AF contract as a 4r0x1 (imaging tech and something I wouldn't have a problem working) and then volunteer for PJ training during BMT (he said around the 3rd week or so). I'm planning to talk to recruiter, but I'd like to hear a PJ's opinion whether or not this is a possible route. My friend went through BMT 12 years ago so it's very possible that things have changed since then.

Thanks for all the info and hopefully I can one day call myself a PJ!

#2855 - 04/02/17 10:54 AM Re: Weight training for indoc and shorter guys in the pipeline? [Re: alexng30]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
The only enlistment option for Pararescue is to get a GTEP contract for Pararescue. As only one AFSC can be GTEP contracted for you incur the risk of should you decide to voluntarily self eliminate (SIE) out of training or should you be eliminated from training for medical or failure to train reasons.

The volunteering for Pararescue during BMT was discontinued back in the mid-late 1990s and volunteering during BMT voided any GTEP contract anyway as the act of volunteering for a must be a volunteer AFSC voided the GTEP contract. There was not enough recruits being put into BMT with Aptitude Enlistments to get enough volunteers as back in 1980 the Air Force prohibited the voiding of GTEP contracts as too many legal problem surfaced when students quit and found themselves being classified into Security Forces or some other not wanted AFSC because they assumed they get they GTEP contract back when they quit out of or fail out of training.

Your friend is giving BS advice as in 2005 there was no volunteering for pararescue during BMT. CCT, TACP, SERE might have still recruited from BMT back during 2005, but not Pararescue. What he is suggesting is to attempt to cross train out of an AFSC into parararescue during the last year or so of an entry enlistment as a First Term Airman.

#2915 - 04/26/17 10:14 AM Re: Weight training for indoc and shorter guys in the pipeline? [Re: alexng30]
IndocCommandant Offline
Operator

As far as weight training is concerned: I agree that excessive bulk is not necessarily a benefit in Indoc. However, if you need to lift weights to get your push-up numbers in the 80s then do it. Don't train to the minimums. The minimum is 52. If you train to 52 and have a bad day, you will most likely fail the PAST and be removed from the program. If you were doing 80, had a bad day and only did 70... you're in. Weights can be beneficial to increase strength. Just don't let it negatively affect your cardio and endurance. Good luck to ya

Moderator:  IndocCommandant 
Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FullJ, 123456, Dunn, GotGuts, ZachL
3727 Registered Users