Forum Home
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Border7, BB, ZambeziG, fire4effect, Taylor
3105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics950
Posts3,058
Members3,105
Most Online952
Dec 16th, 2016
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2864 - 04/07/17 02:15 PM PAST Test prep  
Nobody2 Offline
FNG
Nobody2  Offline
FNG

Ohio
Hello all! I was unsure how to word the title of this post, I'm not looking for PAST test prep tips, as in work out advice There are plenty of resources within these forums for that. Rather I am seeking some advice on recovery/rest days before a PAST test. I take my first PAST test Wednesday April 19th. I typically work out Monday-Saturday with Sunday being my active recovery/rest day. But should I take a few days off leading up to the past test? Or just stick to my normal routine and go into it like it's a regular day. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks and god bless

-Nobody2

#2865 - 04/08/17 12:50 AM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: Nobody2]  
NWakin Offline
FNG
NWakin  Offline
FNG

Arizona
I am in no way an expert on rest and recovery and what is best in this realm regarding any research all I can give is my opinion.

Question for you, do you take your own PAST test on a regular basis?

The reason I ask is because the way I have laid out my training is that I utilize the PAST test as one of my training days. I also do it on Mondays as that is how it is done at INDOC I believe. (do not quote that as 100% accurate). This gives me the opportunity to see how my body reacts due to activities prior to that day. Usually Sunday would be a rest day for me or some form of low impact activities such as walking, riding, hiking or long swim. I would engage in some light stretching and in the way of nutrition I load up for the next day.

The past overall is not a hard task especially with all the rest that is given, but I would definitely suggest making it a routine that way your confidence is built up and your body knows what to expect. I would even go so far as to increase your test parameters if possible. Maybe instead of doing the regular PAST you can alternate with a PAST test that one of the reserve units would give. When you are doing it weekly you can see where your times and reps fluctuate and and start to study why they fluctuate. That way when you go to your test instead of hoping to pass your getting after it and looking to make personal best.

With that this can also help you find out what is best for you on recovery prior to the test (ie. stretching, resting, nutrition, etc.) What works for me may not work for you. Set your self up for success, the test sheet and answers are given to us it is up to us to study and utilize the tools that are given to us to ace the test. Good luck.

#2866 - 04/08/17 09:11 AM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: Nobody2]  
nitrohuck Offline
FNG
nitrohuck  Offline
FNG

VT
I usually taper my workouts beginning 72hrs before a PAST.

For the larger muscle groups used in pullups, I find it helps me to take a full 48 hours off of pullups before the test. Pushups and situps are a little more forgiving in my experience, but I still give it 48hrs.

Running and swimming can be done up until the test, but don't gas yourself, just do light and easy runs/swims to keep your body warm.

I've taken the PAST three times and passed every time, but I am not a physical trainer, and the above info is not my own, but recommendations from people who are immersed in the physical training world, so take it for what you will.

Best of luck to ya

#2868 - 04/11/17 07:46 AM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: NWakin]  
Nobody2 Offline
FNG
Nobody2  Offline
FNG

Ohio
Thanks for the tips man, I appreciate it. I just started regularly taking the PAST on my own. From your advice I figure too give it to myself once every 2 weeks. This due to an article I read stating that Taking it every week doesn't necessarily show your true progression. But that too is a very opinionated article. So as we all know everyone has there own ways, just have to find the one that works best for me!

Again thanks for your tips brother!

#2869 - 04/11/17 07:52 AM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: nitrohuck]  
Nobody2 Offline
FNG
Nobody2  Offline
FNG

Ohio
Thanks for that info. After all the research I've done it just seems everyone has there own ways. I gave myself the past test last Monday on maybe one days rest and Although I past I felt like I was underperforming. That could also be due to my diet and water intake leading up to that date. The day before I took it I was sick so I barely ate any food or drank any water, and the morning of I ate little to nothing. So I am sure that was the main cause to my struggles haha.

Furthermore thanks again brothers!

-Nobody2

#2871 - 04/11/17 01:49 PM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: Nobody2]  
Dylanderson Offline
Apprentice
Dylanderson  Offline
Apprentice

MS
Just remember the PAST will be the easiest part of the pipeline. You should be able to pass a PAST on any given day and time without a notice. Make it a goal to pass a PAST back to back.

Also, remember to take care of your body. Stretch and hydrate well.

Good luck with your training and stay focused.

#2872 - 04/11/17 09:06 PM Re: PAST Test prep [Re: Nobody2]  
NWakin Offline
FNG
NWakin  Offline
FNG

Arizona
Keep getting after.

Popular Topics(Views)