Print Thread
#2905 - 04/25/17 03:58 PM Air National Guard Pararescue Expectations  
drock Offline
FNG
drock  Offline
FNG

CA
Hello all,

I have been in contact with the recruiting staff for the 129th Rescue Wing out of Moffett Federal Airfield in California and look forward to taking my initial PAST in July. The 129th Rescue Wing is an Air National Guard (ANG) unit.

I'm working to gather as much information as possible as I make this life changing decision. I have read extensively on what to expect thru Indoc and the remainder of the Pipeline, but I have found very little detailing what life as a PJ in the ANG is like. My understanding is that the obligations exceed the typical citizen Airman's 2 DAY/MONTH & 2 WEEK/YEAR obligation (understandably), but that is the extent of what I have found.

Granted successful completion of the program - what can a PJ in the ANG expect regarding training obligations, frequency/duration of deployments, maintenance of a civilian career, etc? There will obviously be variations between units, but any general experience would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Derek

#3677 - 05/03/18 02:55 PM Re: Air National Guard Pararescue Expectations [Re: drock]  
Vendiga Offline
FNG
Vendiga  Offline
FNG

Grapevine, TX
Derek,

Did you ever get a solid answer? My understanding is they are requiring/expecting an "Active" candidate for the Guard (aka Active Guard Reservist). Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Vendiga

#3681 - 05/04/18 12:49 PM Re: Air National Guard Pararescue Expectations [Re: drock]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
Being active in the reserve components (Air Guard/ AF Reserve) simply means being the time being there doing something that is military duty connected to generating getting pay and eligibility for other entitlements and benefits. Being in active duty status while going through Basic Military Training (BMT) and subsequent training for award of 3-level AFSC (graduating the AFSC's apprentice course) does not necessitate being in the Active Guard Reserve (ARG) Program.

The ARG Program exists for personnel who are responsible for assisting in the organization, administration, recruitment, instruction or training of ANG personnel and assigned primarily against mobility positions. However assigned primarily against mobility positions doesn't by itself require being in the ARG Program.

The active duty commitment however is significant when Air Guard and AF Reserve students are attending a training course for 20 weeks or longer. Presumably Air Guard and AF Reserve students are PCSed to the Apprentice course (pararecue-Kirtland AFB) and combat control-Hurlburt as the Regular Air Force (Active duty) students are. It is reasonable for the reserve component student to expect being on continuous uninterrupted active duty in training status for at least two years.

The situation and circumstance of getting entry classified into Pararescue, Combat Control, and Special Operations Weather through a reserve component enlistment varies between these AFSCs and the units as much depends on the position being filled and the unit's mobility and response to emergency domestic situations demands. For example the 212th Rescue Squadron responds to emergency domestic situations with in the state on a daily basis and frequently deploys to natural disasters occurring in other states. The demand for having personnel in the ARG program is typically greater for this unit than for units in other states.

―Immediate Response‖ is defined by DoDD 3025.15, paragraph 4.7.1. as ―any form of immediate action taken by a DoD Component or military commander to save lives, prevent human suffering, or mitigate great property damage under imminently serious conditions when time does not permit approval from higher headquarters.
Pararescue is a National SAR resource, so this would be more applicable to pararescue more so than combat control, special operations weather, or TACP.

The only useful solid answer to the question is to ask it of each reserve component Rescue and STS unit as the answer may and can differ among the units.

Popular Topics(Views)
Forum Statistics
Forums22
Topics1,071
Posts3,627
Members3,451
Most Online952
Dec 16th, 2016