Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3745 Members
62 Forums
910 Topics
2927 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 232733
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 117198
TAPAS required? 44528
Age and going for SF 31010
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 29109
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 28203
Length of pipeline training 24676
FY 15 PJ/CCT/CRO/STO/SOWT Pipeline Course Dates 20356
Reserves 19271
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 18874
Topic Options
#2927 - 05/04/17 12:55 AM When is the soonest I can go back to PJ
1phonix7 Offline
FNG

Loc: Indiana
Does anyone know anything about the policy that was released around this time last year for retraining to BA? I have made many attempts trying to get a clear answer about when someone is able to retrain into a battlefield career field. I receive one of two answers. First is that you DO NOT need to be within you retrain window and as long as you meet the initial requirements, you cannot be denied the chance to try and will be released from your current career field. The other answer is that you still need to be within Your normal retrain window and nothing changes from the norm. I know of someone that is getting the chance to go back this year even though they are way outside their window, but they have been in longer and that may factor in as to why they were approved for retrain.

I SIE'd from course awhile back and am trying to go back asap. Just want to know if I can go back before half of my enlistment is up.

#2928 - 05/04/17 07:06 AM Re: When is the soonest I can go back to PJ [Re: 1phonix7]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Policy changes allow Airmen to retrain into special operations, posted August 2016.

The policy is most applicable to manning levels of the potentially losing AFSC more so than it being applicable to FTA retraining window. If not in FTA retrain window an exception to policy is needed.

The policy wasn't put in place to benefit those who SIEed or were previously eliminated from training. Also the Block 3 info on your Form AETC 125A, Administrative Training Action pertinent to reason for your elimination for training and recommendation pertinent to be reentered into training may and can be significantly different form the someone you know who is getting a second chance.

The expanded justification in block 3--Address four categories: reasons, justification, root cause, and recommendations (subject to the needs of the Air Force)-- pertinent to the check the blocks recommendation of "Be" "Considered for Battlefield Airmen(PJ, CCT, TACP, Combat WX),SERE, or EOD AFSC" along with summary information in Block 2--SOW, TACP, Combat WX, SERE, or EOD--provides significant missing information needed to answer your question.

#2929 - 05/05/17 06:05 PM Re: When is the soonest I can go back to PJ [Re: 1phonix7]
1phonix7 Offline
FNG

I have read that article many times over the past year or so along with the Memorandum and it just raises more questions. If you are able to clarify this anymore, it would be greatly appreciated.

From the article-

"This change in policy will allow potential candidates the opportunity to retrain that were not able to previously,” said Chief Master Sgt. Alan Yoshida, Battlefield Airmen training pipeline manager. “Battlefield Airmen career fields historically have high attrition in training. This policy change could benefit the Air Force by increasing the candidate pool to those previously not allowed to crosstrain.”

"Due to unique challenges in finding Airmen who can meet initial qualifications to retrain or crossflow into critically short Battlefield Airmen career fields, any Airman who meets initial qualifications will be released from their career field to pursue retraining regardless of manning levels within their current career field."

Is it referring to the Airmen that are in critically manned careers that usually don't have much of a chance to retrain into other careers due to manning or is it any Airmen regardless of current AFSC?

If you know, what are the initial qualifications? Is it being within your window or being cleared medically?

#2935 - 05/11/17 08:59 AM Re: When is the soonest I can go back to PJ [Re: 1phonix7]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
hmmmm, all that reading and researching and you are still looking for that special most favorable for you secret immediate or expediently as possible reentry path after you were eliminated from training by your own choice to do so or failure to get trained for whatever reason. It doesn't exist for anybody.

The focus demographic of "will be released from their career field to pursue retraining regardless of manning levels within their current career field." This means sustainability concerns (availability for deployments, contingencies, sustaining sortie generation, etc) of the losing AFSC will not be cause for disapproving a retrain application into a BA AFSC.

The perspective needing attachment to the focus demographics is the numbers actually selected at the PJ, CCT, SOW retain pre assessments are much smaller than the numbers who opt to submit application to retrain into a BA AFSC. Thus the critical policy statement concerning those who fail to successfully complete all required courses being reinstated in their prior career field without prejudice.

The following is cut and paste from MYPERS:

FTA Airman:

Airmen assigned in the Continental United States (CONUS) apply for retraining no earlier than the first duty day of the month, when they complete 35 months of their current enlistment (59 months for 6-year enlistees), but no later than the last duty day of the 43rd month of their current enlistment (67 months for 6-year enlistees).

Airman assigned overseas apply between the 15th and 9th month before their date eligible to return from overseas (DEROS) and will enter their retraining window (35th – 43rd month for 4-year enlistees) or (59th – 67th month for 6 year enlistees) on or before their Date Eligible to Return from Overseas (DEROS).

If you decide to retrain and you meet the eligibility requirements, initiate a retraining request using the following procedures: ...

BTW--did you notice MYPERS has a chat option if you don't understand the eligibility requirements or are confused about the requirements for your retraining (FTA or career) program?

There is also an Exception to Policy Retraining page.

A small portion of the info found there is: "First Term Airman (FTA) may also apply for early retraining, into Shortfall Requirements List AFSCs only at the half-way point (four-year enlistees may apply upon completion of 24 months of service of their current enlistment; six-year enlistees may apply upon completion of 36 months of service of their current enlistment). FTA are highly encouraged to obtain additional counseling from the myPers-TFSC Retraining Office or their Career Assistance Advisor before choosing this option."

Regarding your latest set of questions.

1. Is it referring to the Airmen that are in critically manned careers that usually don't have much of a chance to retrain into other careers due to manning or is it any Airmen regardless of current AFSC?

It is referring to both situations with the exception of it being "least" applicable to FTA who had a GTEP contract for any AFSC who were removed from training and were entry classified into another AFSC in which they completed all required training for award of 3-level AFSC in that Career Field. This situation and circumstances is most problematic for the airman who was removed from the initial training required for entry classification into a BA AFSC. Consequently in your situation the critical importance of Form AETC 125A, Administrative Training Action pertinent to reason for your elimination from training and recommendation pertinent to be reentered into training.

2. If you know, what are the initial qualifications? Is it being within your window or being cleared medically?

The info provided on MYPERS and in the retraining AFI clearly and concisely discloses both. It is explicitly recommended the desiring to retrain airman desiring to -- "Review the Air Force Enlisted Classification Directory (AFECD); for the AFSC description. NOTE: Review Aptitude Qualification Examination (AQE) requirements for the AFSC you desire to retrain into. You are not currently qualified for that AFSC if your current AQE scores do not meet or exceed the required AQE. You may schedule a retest to try to improve your scores." A link to the AFECD is provided on this MYPERS page and I make an effort to keep current AFECD BA AFSC descriptions posted on these forums.

Every AFSC has the entry classification qualification requirements disclosed in the AFECD AFSC job description. This info is found after the statement of "For entry, award, and retention of these AFSCs:". Some AFSCs have minimal entry qualification requirements and some have lengthy entry qualification requirements, particularly if there are special medical qualification requirements and occupational specific physical fitness requirements.

#2965 - 06/19/17 01:42 AM Re: When is the soonest I can go back to PJ [Re: Yukon]
1phonix7 Offline
FNG

I don't expect it to be anytime soon, but if there was a way to go back sooner Im going to take it. Thank you for you information. you have been very helpful.

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (Bryan), 13 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danlidd, A0302, Ngraber, Aphardinge, zachaney
3745 Registered Users