Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Welcome to the ST Forums. Your info source for Pararescue, Combat Rescue Officer, Combat Control, Special Tactics Officer, Tactical Air Control Party, Air Liaison Officer & Special Operations Weather
Forum Stats
3864 Members
30 Forums
929 Topics
2966 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 299751
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 149941
TAPAS required? 58140
Age and going for SF 36874
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 35366
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 32471
Length of pipeline training 29958
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 25168
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 24744
New Prior Service Selection for Pararescue 24280
Topic Options
#2999 - 07/23/17 06:47 PM STO vs. CRO
Mr_Moody Offline
FNG

Loc: Indiana
Hello all,

I am about to start my Junior year in college and will start AFROTC in the fall. I've done some research into the PJ/CRO and CCT/STO careers and I'm trying to get some insight about what the work entails for the CRO and STO positions. I've seen a couple posts about how CRO's don't get as much "field time" as the PJ's might which seems odd to me considering they are the officer in charge. From what little information I could find it seems that STO's get more"field time" that CRO's and I'm hoping to get some confirmation on this. Personally, I'm more geared towards working hands on in the field than I am behind the desk. I would like to stay down the path of becoming an Officer since I am getting a degree so going Enlisted isn't ideal. If anyone can give me some insight about the differences between STO and CRO and the amount of field time in each career I would really appreciate it!

#3000 - 07/23/17 08:02 PM Re: STO vs. CRO [Re: Mr_Moody]
Yukon Online
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
The funny thing about "in-charge" is it leaves much to the imagination. In-charge doesn't necessarily bring with it the responsibilities and accountability of appointment of being in command or being in charge.

Within this discussion is also the vagueness of field time which has no connection by it self of requiring the NCO and or commissioned service member to be in charge or to be in command.

So what do you imagine day-to-day and throughout career field time to be considering to be there leading requires significant competence, proficiency and experience.

Quote:
AFI13-219v1 COMBAT CONTROL AND SPECIAL TACTICS OFFICER TRAINING, 23 FEBRUARY 2009 Certified Current 21 APRIL 2011:

4.4.2. Special Tactics Officer (STO) Training. STOs are first and foremost combat leaders, train and employ them for this role. Simultaneously, STOs must be thoroughly trained in planning, coordinating and working in an Operations Center (STOC, TOC, JOC, AOC, etc.) Provide both the academic training and practical experience to ensure STOs succeed at the C2 level. STOs need to be familiar with all ST mission sets. Recommend all STOs get initially certified as JTACs and receive training in CSAR/PR operations as part of ST Advanced Skills Training. Commanders will ensure that all of their assigned STOs receive training and exposure to CSAR/PR mission sets especially officers in ST units with assigned PJs who have the greatest opportunity and most pressing need for this training.

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (Yukon), 4 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
txchill, whynot, IrishCarBomb, atb, Bphelps
3864 Registered Users