Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3874 Members
62 Forums
941 Topics
2998 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 268412
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 133727
TAPAS required? 51274
Age and going for SF 33929
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 31730
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 30692
Length of pipeline training 27172
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 21713
Reserves 21667
FY 15 PJ/CCT/CRO/STO/SOWT Pipeline Course Dates 21445
Topic Options
#3003 - 07/24/17 02:00 PM Air Force going to Ranger school
leroyjenkins Offline
FNG

Loc: florida
So I have read some comments on Ranger school videos stating most Air Force operators go to Ranger school. I was wonder if that is true and why would it be important for them to go to that course?

#3030 - 08/16/17 04:16 AM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: leroyjenkins]
Victor_Echo Offline
FNG

Loc: New Jersey
One of my buddies went to Ranger as a leadership course. I know some of the TACP or CCT guys go since they have to integrate with the Army pretty frequently, but that is just a guess. I don't know that "most" have to go since only under 300 Airmen have completed the course, the last time I checked. We had a Chief go through that was not classified as one of the Battlefield Amn AFSCs, he simply wanted the experience and a better understanding of what some of his guys go through.

I haven't been, but it's one of my short term goals while I'm finishing my degree and training.

#3035 - 08/18/17 09:39 AM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: leroyjenkins]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: leroyjenkins
most Air Force operators go to Ranger School
Who ???? To be the elite secret squirrel operator driving the short bus??? laugh

operator - the individual or entity authorized or designated as the operator of the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, or the Attorney General, if there is no authorized or designated individual or entity. (SOURCE ‐ DOT,  US Code 49,  §30501.) 

LDO
Definitions:
laser designator operator
Source: 1-02

unmanned aircraft
(DOD) An aircraft that does not carry a human operator and is capable of flight with or without human remote control. Also called UA.
Source: JP 3-30

#3036 - 08/18/17 11:55 AM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: Yukon]
leroyjenkins Offline
FNG

Loc: florida
oh ha-ha you got me there. I meant Battlefield Airmen.
I know they can go but I was wondering if it was highly recommended that they go to ranger school? I honestly don't see the necessity for BA to go considering the extensive training each career field goes through and that its ingrained in them to be leaders.

#3037 - 08/18/17 01:17 PM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: leroyjenkins]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Not discouraged is a better perspective than highly recommended. Lacking necessity due to extensive training each BA career field or any other Air Force career field gets is also an imprecise perspective.

Although technically being an NCO and competently performing NCO duties is inclusive of having ability through expertise and experience to utilize management and leadership skills to convert direction from their superiors into mission accomplishment, the leading a small tactical team in the operational environment is generally not is not inclusive in required or even an expected Air Force institutional competencies of most Air Force enlisted and officer military occupations (AFSC).

The core skill required task and skill requirements pertinent to small tactical team leading, which is the leadership training obtainable by attending the Ranger School, but can be obtained through other training sources, needs understanding of how a team or party has a leader in the operational chain of command (NCO if in such a duty position is the lowest command authority in the operational/mission chain of command) providing leadership ensuring team executes the assigned mission in a timely and efficient manner. Conducts the operations with a sense of understanding and comprehension. Ensured all aspects of the mission were accomplished with regard to the safety of the team members, the crew, or other supporting personnel.

Consider:

1. The Special Operations TACP position is open to the grades of E-4 through E-5 and occasionally E-6. Reference SPECIAL OPERATIONS TACP APPLICATION—FY 2017.

2. Although Special Operations Air Liaison Officer (ALO) is advertised by AFSOC as a career field, reference Special Operations Air Liaison Officer Assessment, it is not, but more accurately duty position assignment and utilization in certain AFSOC units. It is not a career AFSC listed and identified in the Air Force Officer Classification Directory. The SOALO is open to the 11XX, 12XX, 13 BX, and 13LX, but there is no Special Operations shredout for these AFSCs.

Although the Special Operations ALO position is open to the following career fields: 11XX, 12XX, 13 BX, and 13LX. Eligible grades are O-2 through O-4.

3. Advanced Skills Training Course (ASTC) provided by the Special Tactics Training Squadron is designed to provide all Combat Control 5-skill level OJT and formal training requirements to include initial military Free Fall qualification training and Combat Diver Qualification Training. Essentially this results in combat Controllers not getting assigned to their first line unit as team members to be there accomplishing missions until they obtain a 5-skill level.

4. Although AFD 10-35 Battlefield Airmen (BA) identifies: (1) BA primarily operate as surface combatants removed from traditional airbase support, logistics, and sortie generation efforts there is and absence of identifying of required leading competencies. Required and desired leading competencies are identified in each AFSCs CFETP, AFECD/AFOCD, and various AFIs. Pertinent to this the only enlisted AFSC in the AFECD having small tactical team leading Experience Identifiers 5-skill level element leader and 7-skill level Team Leader) is Pararescue. The AFECD refers to AFI10-3502V1. Further Pararescue is required to be mission ready qualified and assigned to a line unit to be available to accomplish missions as a team member with a 3-skill level.

#3038 - 08/20/17 09:09 AM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: leroyjenkins]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Fort Bliss hosts 1st joint Ranger Assessment Course

Photo By Abigail Meyer | Ranger School hopefuls started the Ranger Assessment Course early July 10 with the... read more
EL PASO, TX, UNITED STATES
Story by Abigail Meyer 
Fort Bliss Public Affairs Office
Subscribe 6

FORT BLISS, Texas -- Ranger School is one of the most difficult schools in the military. It’s not for the weak or ill-prepared. In order to ensure the most qualified candidates attend the school, many installations hold courses that Soldiers must pass before getting a chance at Ranger School in Fort Benning, Georgia.

“To go to Ranger School and earn the Ranger tab establishes that you are able to be combat leader,” said Sgt. 1st Class Reag Wood, noncommissioned officer in charge, Ranger Operations, 1st Armored Division Iron Training Detachment. “You’re able to overcome the stressors of not eating, of combat, of lack of sleep and when you come out of there- if you do graduate from Ranger School it will be one of the proudest moments of your career.”

Service members from other services are eligible to attend Ranger School. It’s a small community though, less than 300 Airmen have completed the school since 1955. They grow their number each year by holding a Ranger Assessment Course once or twice a year to prepare Airmen from any career field for the grueling school.

“Some Airmen think it’s just for security forces or tactical air control party or combat control or pararescue and it’s not,” said Air Force Master Sgt. Gabriel Rodriguez, program manager, Ranger Assessment Course, Air Force Security Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. “It’s ultimately a leadership course for every AFSC (Air Force specialty code) that can meet the standard and go on to ranger school.”

For the past three years, the Air Force has worked with the 1st Armored Division’s Iron Training Detachment to hold the course at Fort Bliss, Texas. This year, after 19 months of planning, the 15-day course is fully integrated and about 50 Soldiers and Airmen trained together from July 10 through 25 in the training areas near Fort Bliss.

“We have to learn each other’s lingo, but in the end we get to work with another branch of excellent Airmen and they get to see how the Army does operations,” Wood said. “It’s been a win-win for everyone involved.”
Similar to Ranger School, the Fort Bliss course had three phases that consisted of an initial assessment, classroom time and field training activities.

“Right off the bat, we have the Ranger Physical Fitness Test, which consists of pushups (49), sit-ups (59), a 5-mile run and pullups (6),” Wood said. “After that, they do the combat water survival assessment. They achieve passing by conducting a 15-meter swim, ditching their equipment and not showing any sort of fear in the water.”

After the classroom phase, the students spend several days in the field, learning combat tactics and leadership.

“You can learn about leadership by reading a book or by doing a CBT (computer based training), but honestly unless you go out … and you’re put in the position to where you have to make the calls, you have to lead men and you have to motivate them when they’re tired and hungry, you can’t replicate that sitting in front of a desk, you have to come out, have boots on the ground and you have to be put in those position, whether you’re going to sink or swim, that comes down to you,” said Air Force Staff Sgt. Evan Barnhart, RAC cadre, a tactical air control party NCO assigned to 25th Air Support Operations Squadron, Wheeler Army Airfield, Hawaii.

The course is rigorous, and tests candidates’ mettle in each phase. While the course is extremely physically demanding, it goes far beyond that.

“It’s not just physical. A lot of people think it’s all physical. That he or she is fast, or can perform, but a lot of it’s mental and a lot of it’s knowledge,” Rodriguez said. “You’re not going to get this type of leadership training anywhere else. As dynamic as the Air Force is, and it really is, it’s key that an Airman goes through this type of training and is introduced to this level of stress.”

Rangers from 1st Armored Division and Air Force Rangers from across the world made up the cadre for the course. Their goal- identify the best qualified Soldiers and Airmen to attend Ranger School.

“If you have that drive and that motivation and you set yourself up for success prior to coming- if you take the time to learn the materiel… we’re not here to hold your hand, but if you come prepared, I don’t care what you do in the Air Force, we’re going to do what we can to get you to school,” Barnhart said.

With an average 80 percent attrition rate, in the end, 14 Airmen successfully completed the course and four were recommended to attend Ranger School.

Those interested in attending the Air Force Ranger Assessment course are encouraged to contact Rodriguez at gabriel.rodriguez.3@us.af.mil. Soldiers interested in taking the Pre-Ranger Course at Fort Bliss can contact the Iron Training Detachment.

---

Some dissection of the article is necessary as the assertion of “To go to Ranger School and earn the Ranger tab establishes that you are able to be combat leader” is a bit exaggerated.

The “able” in perspective of “opportunity to do something” is misleading in that being put in position of being a combat leader doesn’t solely happen because the service member successfully completed and graduates the ranger school. The opportunity to be put in such a leading position is dependent on unit of assignment and the operational capability the unit provides on the ground battlefield.

The “able” in perspective of “skills, proficiencies, competencies, and fitness” is also misleading when lacking connection to operational utilization, operational mission, and operational risks. The Ranger school in most simplistic description is nothing more than a professional military education program having combat as part of its curriculums. As such it concentrates mostly on vigorously developing combat arms skills above the basic common ground combat infantry skills with the incorporating of decision making scenarios.

Pertinent to most Air Force military occupations (AFSCs) the purpose of any pre-ranger school preparatory course extends beyond just learning the lingo and getting physically fit. It includes, or should include getting familiar with basic common ground combat infantry skills.

The most distinguishing difference between the Battle Field Airman AFSCs, Security Forces AFSC and most other Air Force AFSCs is exampled in use of force training. All uniformed service members of the Air Force fall into arming group A or arming group B. Most uniformed service members of the Air Force are in arming group B whereas BA AFSC and Security Forces are arming group A. The Air Force requires a bit more specific training requirements for arming group A than it does for arming group B.

For example:

AFI 31-117, par 2.5.1.2. Annual use of force training for Group A will include performance based practical training incorporating decision-making scenarios.

AFI 36-2654, para 5.5.1.1. Security Forces and Battlefield Airmen AFSCs will qualify annually using the specialized qualification course (rifle/carbine and handgun as applicable) or advanced tables/phases/orders of the AFQC.

AFI 36-2654, 1.1.7. Recognize and ensure the unique surface combat capabilities of Battlefield Airmen are completely supported in the USAF Combat Arms Program, through facilities, policies and procedures.

I highlighted in red text the training will incorporating decision making scenarios. Just about every training scenario involved with skill level upgrade training and mission qualification training in the BA AFSCs, particularly, Pararescue involves decision making, consider concurrent medical treatment of two or more severe trauma patients or decisions made in providing security and SERE on the ground to others behind enemy lines.

#3039 - 08/21/17 03:52 PM Re: Air Force going to Ranger school [Re: Yukon]
Victor_Echo Offline
FNG

Loc: New Jersey
That is some excellent information Yukon. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this and dissecting the contents, sir.
I'm hoping my squadron will send me as a leadership course once I'm done with Air advisor pipeline. I'm just an Air Traffic Control guy for now with the end goal of becoming a STO once I finish my degree. My intent for Ranger school is 1: a near future goal and gut check that might better prepare me for the road ahead 2: something I wanted to achieve since I was a kid before knowing what a Ranger was.
I was pretty amped to learn that even "normal" AFSCs can go out for it if their leadership is on board.

Moderator:  IndocCommandant 
Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (ss8541hill), 8 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
boyvillain, repgilbreath, matt23mcg, NJones, Springwaterw1
3874 Registered Users