Next Thread
Print Thread
#3022 - 08/08/17 09:35 PM Leadership qualities  
DeltaRomeo Offline
FNG
DeltaRomeo  Offline
FNG

Nevada
I plan on submitting my package to retrain into combat control later this year. I've already started the process of my flight physical, and gathering all of the required paperwork in recommendation letters needed for my package. I do understand that I'll have to attend the assessment course down in Florida As well. the one thing that I keep seeing that they will be looking for at the assessment that I'm not quite clear on Is leadership. Are they saying that they are looking for applicants who have professional leadership experience? (ALS, Professional development courses, TDYs, etc) Or are they talking more of people that can perform well as leaders in stressful situations? The only reason I ask is because At my Squadron (SFS squadron) we don't really get any leadership opportunities for the airmen. And as a senior airman with only 3 years time in service I haven't attended ALS, Had even a single opportunity for any kind of TDYs, Or even given opportunities to be a leader amongst people in my flight. (Aside from teaching new people how to do the job And leading patrols around base) I fear that my lack of experience will look negative in my package if professional/career leadership is what they're looking for. I've gone to my commander, 1st sergeant, training section, and flight chief And ask them all for guidance and/or opportunities to gain Professional leadership experience, And each of them literally told me "unless you're an NCO there's not a lot I can give for you." So I'm pretty much stuck.
Does anyone have any knowledge on what kind of leadership they will be looking for at the assessment, or if not any guidance on what I should do? Anything is appreciated.

#3024 - 08/08/17 11:55 PM Re: Leadership qualities [Re: DeltaRomeo]  
Yukon Online
Operator
Yukon  Online
Operator

Anchorage AK
I can't address combat control specifically as I was a PJ. However, you are in the same boat as most cross train applicant hopefuls and many prior service applicant hopefuls.

It is about leading and effectively communicating in stressful situations, but considering most AF cross trainees are not combat infantry fire team leaders or squad leaders you are letting your imagination get you much too worried.

Popular Topics(Views)