Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3931 Members
62 Forums
946 Topics
3022 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 287528
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 143446
TAPAS required? 55430
Age and going for SF 35558
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 33847
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 31709
Length of pipeline training 28764
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 23618
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 23502
Reserves 23090
Topic Options
#3040 - 08/22/17 12:23 AM No Assessment?
Torres Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Misawa Air Base, Japan
Hello,

I've read through an unofficial channel that SOWT candidates no longer attend Assessment at Hurlburt and instead attend Selection at Medina. Can you verify this?

Also, being overseas currently (Japan), if I applied to retrain, would I have to stay at my overseas base until the end of my DEROS? OR upon applying for train, I can attend assessment (or selection) whenever the invite gets pushed out (I already know there is no guarantee to being invited.

There is confusion here with what my Military Personnel Section, leadership and career advisor are telling people who want to retrain.

MPS is saying I would have to stay until the end of my DEROS, my leadership has no idea at all and the career advisor tells me to call the in-service recruiter who is in another part of Japan but vouches in saying that all I need to do is serve half of my overseas tour. My DEROS is May 2020 and 15-9 months prior to that would be my retrain window.

AFPC won't answer this question as all they tell me is I am ineligible to apply for retraining (because of DEROS).

This is my first assignment overseas so I'm seeing how things are different in this department.

#3041 - 08/22/17 08:00 AM Re: No Assessment? [Re: Torres]
guacamoleaddict Offline
FNG

Loc: NJ, U.S.
I can verify that SOWT candidates attend CCSC, a 10-day selection course with CCT candidates. I personally went through unsuccessfully during July and now became re-classed into Dental Assistant career field. I believe you will be TDY to AFSOC hq in Hurlburt for your AFSOC selection course and then TDY to Medina to complete the 10-day selection course. If you make it through, you will be temporarily stationed at Hurlburt until you receive a Weather school date to Keesler with your team.

#3042 - 08/22/17 09:32 AM Re: No Assessment? [Re: Torres]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
The initial post by Torres is asking about the SOW retraining assessment. The BA PJ, CCT and SOW AFSCs each have in-place in-resident (a TDY) assessment programs to determine which retrain applicants get approved to proceed to the appropriate course of initial entry (COIE) for entry into the applied for BA AFSC.

Torres' actual concern is how to get around of bypass his ineligible to apply for retraining (because of DEROS).

Currently the three 10-training days COIEs are the: (1) Pararescue (PJ) Development Course (PJDC), (2) Combat Control Selection Course (CCSC), and (3) Special Operations Weather Team Selection Course (SWTSC).

The CCSC and SOWTSC has been a combined course since the SOW AFSC was authorized and established as a career AFSC (not a weather duty position shred-out) effective October 2008.

Prior to 2008 and after 1993 (when weather combat parachutist team assignment were opened to women) the screening and selection to fill weather parachutist position supporting certain Army special operations units and Army Special Forces units was done as the screening and selection of those in the TACP AFSC to fill duty positions.

The Special Operations TACP position is open to the grades of E-4 through E-5 and occasionally E-6. Reference SPECIAL OPERATIONS TACP APPLICATION—FY 2017

[quote]Reference Special Operations TACP:

ST tactical air control parties support Special Operations Command assets by providing terminal attack control and fire support expertise for all three Ranger Battalions, the 75th Ranger Regiment's Reconnaissance Company, U.S. Army Special Forces Operational Detachment A teams, U.S. Navy SEAL Team platoons, and other Special Mission Units.

ST TACPs are assigned to the 17th Special Tactics Squadron at Ft. Benning, Ga., Joint Base Lewis McChord, Tacoma, Wa., Hunter Army Airfield, Savannah, Ga., and all four active duty Special Tactics Squadrons located in the continental United States.

Requirements:

- JTAC (SEI 914)
- Basic Airborne qualified or volunteer for parachutist duty
- Have a current class III Flight Physical
- Retainability to complete five-year controlled tour
- Eligible for TOP SECRET/SCI clearance
- Financially stable
- Able to deploy within 18 hours
- Exceed Air Force Fitness Standards

Physical Requirements: (TACP lacks a career occupational specific fitness standard}

Physical Requirements
Calisthenics Minimums:
8 chin-ups in 2 minutes
60 sit-ups in 4 minutes
45 push-ups in 2 minutes

Run Minimum: 
3 miles, non-stop, completed within 24 minutes

Combat Water Survival Test 

12-mile road march with 35-pound rucksack, weapon, LCE and helmet in less than 3 hours

Join the Special Tactics team

What is the difference between a Combat Controller and a Tactical Air Control Party Airman?

Combat Controllers are trained in a wide variety of skillsets—air traffic control, SCUBA, military freefall, etc.—and belong to Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC), which directly supports United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM). They regularly support joint special operations forces (SOF) and spend their entire operational career within Air Force Special Tactics (ST).

Tactical Air Control Party members specialize in synchronizing air assets into the ground battlespace, and work closely with the conventional Army to manage large area of operations.  They belong to Air Combat Command (ACC), and therefore are not SOF. After TACPs have completed their training pipeline and gained some experience at their ACC units, they can apply to attend the SOF TACP selection, and be hired into Special Tactics.

Both Combat Controllers and TACPs can become Joint Terminal Attack Controllers (JTACs), and control air-to-ground munitions employment in close air support situations for their respective supported units.
Bottom line: TACPs are conventional and support conventional forces, whereas Combat Controllers are SOF and support USSOCOM.

Join the Special Tactics team

What is Special Operations Weather?

Special operations weathermen are meteorologists with advanced tactical training to operate in hostile or denied territory. They gather and interpret weather data and provide intelligence from deployed locations while working with Air Force and Army special operations forces. They collect localized weather intelligence, assist mission planning, generate accurate and mission-tailored target and route forecasts in support of global special operations, conduct special reconnaissance and train foreign national forces. Learn more about special operations weather.

Some info about conventional battlefield weather teams:

Weather operations Five core processes-collection, analysis, prediction, tailoring, and integration-to characterize the past, current, and future state of the atmosphere and space environment then enable the exploitation of this environmental information at key decision points. Reference Army Regulation 115–10 AFI 15–157 (IP), Weather Support and Services for the U.S. Army

Although only 25% of the weather force is supporting the United States Army as combat weather, Col. Bacot wants to ensure all weather Airmen have the necessary “soldier skills” and are ready for anything that could happen during a deployment. Reference Weather leaders discuss issues, shape future

2.1.8. All personnel assigned to weather parachutist manning positions (AFSCs J15WX or J1W0X1) will be volunteers for parachutist duty, complete an initial qualification course and maintain currency according to AFI 11-410, Personnel Parachute Operations. The gaining MAJCOM or the supported Army unit (see AR 115-10/AFI 15-157 [IP]) funds initial qualification course. Reference AFI 15-127

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (MaC2k1), 11 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Van, BC15, Russ83, civ_into_mil, Jose3012
3931 Registered Users