Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Welcome to the ST Forums. Your info source for Pararescue, Combat Rescue Officer, Combat Control, Special Tactics Officer, Tactical Air Control Party, Air Liaison Officer & Special Operations Weather
Forum Stats
3864 Members
30 Forums
929 Topics
2966 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 299751
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 149941
TAPAS required? 58140
Age and going for SF 36874
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 35366
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 32471
Length of pipeline training 29958
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 25168
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 24744
New Prior Service Selection for Pararescue 24280
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3078 - 10/11/17 08:07 AM Retraining while on a code 50
Njmann5 Offline
FNG

Loc: Florida
I know I read a thread on here a while back with an AFI stating that commanders are required, for lack of a better term, to release an airman that wants to crosstrain in to a critically manned career field as long as they are not in a critically manned field. I am wondering if that also applies to me since I am in a code 50 slot. If any of you know where I can find that thread or know the AFI I would greatly appreciate it.

#3079 - 10/11/17 12:10 PM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Geewhiz87 Offline
FNG

Loc: Langley AFB
PM me your global and ill shoot it your way

#3083 - 10/12/17 09:32 AM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Njmann5 Offline
FNG

So I did a little digging and found that those in a code 50 can retrain, but it must be within 12 months of their date of availability. I have been unable to find if there is an exception for those trying to enter Battlefield Airmen career fields since I am looking to apply at about the 24 month mark. I did find a memorandum on here stating individuals will be released regardless of manning levels so long as the meet the initial qualifications i.e. PAST. However, I'm not sure if this applies in my situation. Does anyone know if this applies or know someone that has been in my situation and been allowed to retrain?

#3085 - 10/12/17 01:22 PM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Yukon Online
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
initial qualifications for those desiring to retrain include being in either a first term airman eligible to retain window or have careers eligibility to retrain.

Generally for career it's a TIS/TIG ceiling. Examples from AFECD:

Pararescue: 3.5.1.3.1. Grade of E-5 or below with less than 10 years Total Active Federal Military Service (Total Federal Military Service for Reserve of the Air Force personnel).

Combat Control: 3.5.1.3.1. Grade of E-5 or below with less than 10 years Total Active Federal Military Service (Total Federal Military Service for Reserve of the Air Force personnel).

There is option to request an exception to policy which can be found in MYPERS retraining area.

#3086 - 10/12/17 06:11 PM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
SW Offline
Operator

Go to AFI 36-2626 and look at page 18 (table 4.1) #4. You look good to go via the table but there appears to be some table notes that i am unable to see from home. I dont know if they'll pull up elsewhere or if its a publication error.

SW

#3087 - 10/13/17 09:59 AM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Yukon Online
Operator

Originally Posted By: Njmann5
I am in a code 50 slot. If any of you know where I can find that thread or know the AFI I would greatly appreciate it.
It is presumed code 50 is actually AAC 50 (maximum stabilized tour). An AAC usually applies only to an Airmanís current assignment. Generally,the mission or function of some organizations require the AF to manage an Airmanís period of assignment more closely than would be realized by normal attrition and time on station (TOS) requirements.

The stabilized tour deferment may be waived or an activity may be terminated when it no longer serves the overall best interest of the AF. For management purposes, stabilized tours are divided into two major groups, maximum and minimum tours.

A maximum tour identifies the maximum period of time an Airman will be assigned to a particular duty and/or organization, unless an extension is approved.

A minimum tour identifies the minimum period of time an Airman will be assigned to a particular duty and/or organization, but longer assignment is authorized. Extension of a minimum tour deferment is not required. After expiration of the initial deferment, an Airman remains assigned until selected for another assignment. The reasons for a minimum tour vary. For example, a minimum tour may be necessary to receive pay back for special training (formal or on-the-job), for experience gained, and so on.

As your current assignment is a SOCOM duty position at MacDill AFB it is the assignment OPR controlling your eligibility for early release to pursue retraining.

Although apparently you found policy guidance of "code 50 can retrain, but it must be within 12 months of their date of availability" there is absence of supplemental information of early release waiver is or is not required during the 12 months prior to date of assignment availability.

As this supplemental info is lacking it is reasonable a waiver is not required during this 12 month window. However the absence of this supplemental info also reasonably suggests an even earlier release is possible through a waiver or exception to policy request. Further the memorandum addresses release from current career field only. It offers no policy guidance pertinent to release from stabilized and/or other types of controlled duty assignments.

The hoped to retrain into AFSC career field managers have no influence in the controlling assignment OPR's decision to approve early release or early departure of service members from such assignments.

Essentially you need to contact the assignment OPR for your current duty position to get your answer.

#3088 - 10/13/17 12:06 PM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Njmann5 Offline
FNG

Yes I am referring to an AAC 50. I am aware that commanders have the power to release individuals from their AAC 50 however, my predicament is that we have had individuals recently try to be released from theirs, but our commander would only agree to it if it can be guaranteed that the slot be filled prior to departure or soon after. He is concerned about mission readiness considering most shops are 4-5 man deep and we are only 45 people strong as a unit. Another question that has been raised here is if AFPC will not fill the slot until the original date that the AAC 50 for that slot ends and not fill it once it becomes vacated. The issue being that my slot would be empty for about 2 years. Do you know this to be true?

I also see you stated that the gaining AFSC's functional would have no pull as to being removed from the AAC 50. I spoke with the career advisor here yesterday and he suggested I contact an in service special tactics recruiter and meet with them to see if they may be able to help my cause if they feel I would be a good fit for the job. Do you feel this still would be beneficial?

I greatly appreciate all the feedback thus far, it has really helped me build a case for myself and given me some good POCs for help along the way.

Edited by Njmann5 (10/13/17 12:10 PM)

#3089 - 10/13/17 01:43 PM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Yukon Online
Operator

Another question that has been raised here is if AFPC will not fill the slot until the original date that the AAC 50 for that slot ends and not fill it once it becomes vacated. The issue being that my slot would be empty for about 2 years. Do you know this to be true?
The duty position in any and all units of assignment must be projected to be vacated or become vacated by some personnel action before it can be filled by another service member, otherwise a surplus/overage manning situation (when there are more people assigned to a location than there are manpower authorizations in a grade and AFSC for officers, or in a career field ladder for enlisted) is created. This is a concern for retrain (entry classification) out of current AFSC into some of the enlisted BA AFSCs (primarily Pararescue pipeline prior to PCSing o the PJ school, Kirtland AFB) where there is lengthy attending retraining in a TDY status in courses of initial entry having high student attrition or TDY attendance to a 5-day retrain assessment (Pararescue, Combat Control, Special Operations Weather) that determines entry classification suitability. It's a matter of when in the retraining process a PCS determination is made and/or projected. Complicating the answer is the date completed formal school that awards the 3-level AFSC is when the retrain action is actually completed. If eliminated from training even after a PCS (for example PJ school Kirtland) some administrative disposition such as return to AFSC being retrained out of and assignment to unit having vacancy for the AFSC must happen.

Quote:
AFI 36-2626:
4.6.1. If the Airman is attending in a TDY and return status, the Technical Training Wing (TTW) returns the Airman to home station. HQ AFPC/DPTOT will notify the Airman if further retraining actions are required.

I spoke with the career advisor here yesterday and he suggested I contact an in service special tactics recruiter and meet with them to see if they may be able to help my cause if they feel I would be a good fit for the job. Do you feel this still would be beneficial?
Perhaps, particularly for those BA AFSCs that are 100% AFSOC controlled (combat control and Special Operations Weather). Determining if you are a good fit for the job is actually the purpose of the mandatory 5-day retrainee applicant assessment programs.

The AAC 50 assignment OPR for approval authority actions are HQ USAF and HQ AFPC. Consideration needs to be given justification was provided to justify a stabilized duty assignment need and a commander releasing individuals to retrain is compromising the legitimacy of such justification.

#3090 - 10/14/17 09:21 AM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Yukon Online
Operator

It appears you're most likely assigned to a combat support unit.

The commanderís concern about manning shortfalls effecting mission readiness is all about having sufficient numbers of assigned personnel, particularly those in critical AFSCs, available, prepared and ready to deploy. This means having sufficient manning that can be utilized within the prescribed unit response time, regardless of current deployed/employed location.

Consequently the enlisted service member assigned to the unit desiring to retrain out of current AFSC into a new AFSC is a lose with no means to gain a replacement as the airman pursuing retraining remains on the unitís manning documents until a permanent change of assignment (PCA) or permanent change of station (PCS) action happens.

Retraining into all of the BA AFSCs requires the retrainee (entry classification) to complete all required formal courses required for award of 3-skill level AFSC. Thus there is a lose/gain concern when the initial courses are attended in a TDY status before a PCA/PCS action happens.

Pararescue, Combat Control, and Special Operations Weather AFSCs utilize a Retrainee assessment screening to determine final approval to be retrained (entry classified) into the AFSC. It is the assessment action that results in getting or not getting orders to the BA AFSCís course of initial entry which is attended in a TDY status. At some point, if not eliminated from training, the retainee is PCSed to location of 3-level awarding apprentice course. During the interim period between reporting as a student to the COIE and being PCSed to location of 3-level awarding apprentice course the lose unit cannot get a replacement.

Combat Service Support UnitsóForces whose primary mission is to provide essential capabilities, functions, activities, and tasks necessary to sustain all elements of combat and combat support forces at all levels of war. Includes, but not limited to, Mission Support, Force Support, Contracting, Wing Staff Agencies, Comptroller, and select FOAs providing reach back support (e.g., AF Flight Standards Agency (AFFSA) and AF Operations Group (AFOG)).

Combat Support UnitsóForces whose primary mission is to provide combat support to combat forces, and is a part or prepared to become a part of a theater, command, or task force, formed for combat operations (e.g., munitions, maintenance, intelligence, weather, medical, and communications). Includes, but not limited to, Airlift, Refueling, Aircraft Maintenance, Munitions, Security Forces, Rescue (Aviation), Numbered AF, Air Operations, Air Control, Weather, Space (Operations, Communications, Reconnaissance, etc.), Cyberspace Operations (DoD Information Network (DoDIN) Operations), Communications, Logistics Readiness, Aerial Port, Aerospace Evacuation, RED HORSE, Prime BEEF (includes engineer, fire emergency services (FES), EOD, and Civil Engineering (CE) emergency management personnel), Intelligence, Medical, and any FOA that has consolidated all of their resources and deploys them into theater (e.g., AF Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI)).

Combat UnitsóForces expected to fire weapons, conduct reconnaissance, or engage in other activities directly related to combat operations. Includes, but not limited to, Fighter, Bomber, Reconnaissance, Special Tactics, Rescue (Guardian Angel), Special Ops, Missile, and Airborne Command and Control squadrons, regardless of MAJCOM.

#3091 - 10/16/17 10:52 AM Re: Retraining while on a code 50 [Re: Njmann5]
Njmann5 Offline
FNG

What I am gathering from all this is that it would be about 4 months, accounting for the dev course, indoc, and dive, before my slot would even become available to be filled because those are the courses to be completed before PCSing to Kirtland if I recall correctly. I'm not concerned about coming back to the unit should I not make it through for whatever reason, but is this only the case once PCSing since you are in TDY status initially.

My main reason for pushing so hard for an early release from my code 50 is that other than the obvious of wanting to be in the PJ community ASAP, I am also creeping up on that ten year mark, I'll have a few months left by the time my assignment is up here and I strongly feel I will have made Tech by then. I am aware there are slots for Techs now, but this is the first year I have seen that on the retraining advisory and as you pointed it out previously the guidance states that the individual must be E-5 or below.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (Yukon), 4 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
txchill, whynot, IrishCarBomb, atb, Bphelps
3864 Registered Users