Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Welcome to the ST Forums. Your info source for Pararescue, Combat Rescue Officer, Combat Control, Special Tactics Officer, Tactical Air Control Party, Air Liaison Officer & Special Operations Weather
Forum Stats
3864 Members
30 Forums
929 Topics
2966 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 299751
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 149941
TAPAS required? 58140
Age and going for SF 36874
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 35366
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 32471
Length of pipeline training 29958
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 25168
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 24744
New Prior Service Selection for Pararescue 24280
Topic Options
#3076 - 10/10/17 09:01 AM Personality of ST Teams
professional_47 Offline
FNG

Loc: DC
I relayed in my intro how, as a civilian, I enjoy reading about the differences among special operations units. I just finished reading Billy Allmon's book "Navy SEALs and Their Unabashed Humor" where he recounts several humorous and more dark humor stories from training and deployments, such as playing practical jokes, explaining how that comes with the territory being in that line of work.

In the past I've also read "Guardian Angel" by SMSGT William Sine on being in Pararescue, and I remember one part he mentions how all special ops units are similar in their level of dark humor and playing jokes/pranks on each other, because 'excess is hardwired into their personalities', his words.

Does this reflect your experience serving in the Special Tactics teams? If so, are there any differences in unit personalities/dynamics you have noticed serving with SEAL, SF, or Marine Recon teams?

#3081 - 10/11/17 06:53 PM Re: Personality of ST Teams [Re: professional_47]
SW Offline
Operator

I think you see most high-functioning units all have similar type atmospheres to some degree. There's always a bit of deviation based off of individual personalities from team to team though. I've seen a unit go from very generally lackadaisical to very focused in just one year based solely off a few personnel changes that can transform everyone's point of view.
Dark humor is a definite similarity amongst most units. In a way, it helps guys cope and share thoughts about extremely disturbing situations, which in a way can be healthy if appropriate.

SW

#3095 - Today at 07:35 AM Re: Personality of ST Teams [Re: SW]
professional_47 Offline
FNG

Loc: DC
Originally Posted By: SW
I think you see most high-functioning units all have similar type atmospheres to some degree. There's always a bit of deviation based off of individual personalities from team to team though. I've seen a unit go from very generally lackadaisical to very focused in just one year based solely off a few personnel changes that can transform everyone's point of view.
Dark humor is a definite similarity amongst most units. In a way, it helps guys cope and share thoughts about extremely disturbing situations, which in a way can be healthy if appropriate.

SW

Thanks for sharing SW. I came across these articles the other day I think you will find interesting also, that some in the military, in particular special warfare and operations, exhibit high levels of production of Neuropeptide-Y, or NPY, that allows them to return to normal cortisol levels after a stressful event.

How the Bravest Are Different

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10807963

Edited by professional_47 (Today at 07:38 AM)

#3096 - Today at 09:23 AM Re: Personality of ST Teams [Re: professional_47]
Yukon Online
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Task performance efficiency when the combination of uncertainty, frustration, and fear begins impairing ability to perform while doing differs from coping mechanisms present before and after exposure to a psychological traumatic event. The performance efficiency concerns avoiding panic (a sudden overwhelming fear, with or without cause, that produces hysterical or irrational behavior) while the before and after (recovery) coping concerns resiliency (able to utilize their skills and strengths to cope and recover from problems and challenges).

What is attributed in the linked to article as "The Grip" (coming on-a mixture of fear and frustration) is an impairment to perception while performing. When the loss of perception extends to psychomotor impairment (loss of peripheral vision, tensing of muscle) it has become being in a state of panic.

What is attributed in the linked to article (how the bravest are different) as "The Grip" (coming on-a mixture of fear and frustration) differs significantly from having or not having appreciation for dark humor. It also differs from unit or team culture being very generally lackadaisical or being very focused. The organizational culture causing performance and mission readiness impairment is most often a leadership failure within the unit or a leadership failure in the chain of command above the unit.

Moderator:  IndocCommandant 
Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (Yukon), 4 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
txchill, whynot, IrishCarBomb, atb, Bphelps
3864 Registered Users