Kettlebell! | TRX | Elite Rings | TAC Gear | Jet Fins | Neanderthin

Forum Home Do not ask questions that violate OPSEC parameters. Read the ROEs and do a search before posting a question! Do not answer a question unless your information is from verified sources and accurate!
Forum Stats
3931 Members
62 Forums
946 Topics
3022 Posts

Max Online: 952 @ 12/16/16 12:18 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
Retraining Assessment 287528
Women joining Air Force Special Operations Units, your thoughts? 143446
TAPAS required? 55430
Age and going for SF 35558
CRO & PJ Development Course Description-old 33847
Operator and Trainee Workout Programs 31709
Length of pipeline training 28764
Ballz 3 (March DEV/Indoc class) 23618
Special Operations Recruiter Liaison Workout 23502
Reserves 23090
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1785 - 08/30/15 01:26 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: PepperUrAngus]
AStelmack Offline
FNG

Loc: Grand Forks AFB, ND
Wait, so let's say since I'm prior service and make it past selection, after ATC I'll go back to Grand Forks for a few weeks in between that and airborne/SERE/CCS? Dude that's awesome. Do you know if they allow POV travel or do I have to go via plane?

Bout to become a pro w/ DTS.

#1787 - 08/30/15 10:23 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Nick]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Loc: Anchorage AK
Being prior-service or a cross trainee student brings with it no different student POV privileges than allowed for the non prior service students entering training out of BMT. Although some pipeline courses do allow traveling to and from the course by POV (SERE) others such as the Basic Airborne Course have specific stipulation of "3. Rental cars/POVs ARE NOT AUTHORIZED".

Further travel POV requires specific travel funding and authorization in the TDY order. Context being you are going to have to justify to the TDY order approving official POV authorization.

Students particularly prior service and cross trainees also have established a high risk of travel accidents and off duty gallivanting that resulted in death and injury to themselves and other students. You can become the Pro with the Defense Travel System all you want, but the DTS policies doesn't control funding or POV approval for temporary duty travel.

Combat Control Selection Course: Retrainees must bring their approved PAST test results/letters. POVs are not authorized for use while attending the course ALL students, regardless of reporting time, will reside in Dormitory 127 for the duration of their in-processing/training at JBSA-Lackland Training Annex. Billeting at Gateway Inn on JBSA-Lackland or off-base is not authorized.

Combat Control Apprentice Course: Students attending this course under an AETC TDY to School funded quota, at Pope Army Airfield, are authorized one excess baggage NTE $80 one way stateside ($160 one way overseas) from Pope Army Airfield only to next PDS location. This has been staffed with AETC/FMAT.

BTW: Considering you have submitted retrain applications for CCT 5 times and never for whatever reason actually got approved for retraining with a report date to the Combat Control Selection Course (the COIE). Becoming a pro in the DTS is not contributing to your goal of entry classification into the Combat Control AFSC. Considering also you have a 7-level in your current AFSC and clearly not a FTA getting a retrain quota for CCT while possible, is unlikely.

#1804 - 09/02/15 04:40 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Yukon]
AStelmack Offline
FNG

I was being goofy when talking about becoming a pro w/ DTS...

The 5 times I've submitted and been rejected:

1. Overseas
2. Overseas
3. Gubmint shutdown
4. Couldn't get PRK waiver in time
5. Deployment

Say what you like, but I'm going to keep trying.

#1805 - 09/02/15 07:23 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Nick]
Yukon Offline
Operator

I never discourage keep on trying. I do however discuss the causals behind the odds, probability and reasoning having disconnects in being relevant to how and why things happen or work in the real world.

I also suggest when effort in seeking use of POV isnít contributing to the retraining goal.

Being goofy is fine. However, unless somebody is a service member that goes TDY frequently, the DTS acronym for Defense Travel Service is something few recognize.

The Defense Travel Service also has no correlation or influence to retraining requests being approved or rejected. Further there is no correlation of DTS to down time between courses. It is also more than goofy to be worried about POV travel when probability of being approved to retrain is decreasing rather than increasing (odds of happening becoming unfavorable).

POV use is generally determined by those involved in funding and approving the travel orders. POV travel is also something typically approved and funded by the unit the member is assigned to, unless as I provided there is specific policy prohibiting POV travel. In regards to the training pipeline the POV use and availability is course specific. The TDY process usually involves, if POV approval is desired, doing a cost analysis comparison demonstrating using POV is more cost effective than other modes of travel to include using rental vehicle at TDY location. As pipeline students are housed in barracks, even prior service and retrain students, there is no in local area need for transportation between off base billeting, off base restaurants, and the classroom/training location.

I addressed the causals for decreasing retraining approval probabilities (odds of happening becoming unfavorable) in this post: retraining advisory frustration.

However keep trying, nobody can predict when the Air Force has the sudden unexpected need.

#1817 - 09/04/15 01:25 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Yukon]
AStelmack Offline
FNG

I wasn't actually concerned about POV use. Just thought I'd make a DTS joke for any current enlisted/prior enlisted folks who've dealt with it and know the frustrations. They could require us to transit via Fisher Price roller skates and I'll do it.

I understand that w/ 9 years (by the time my deployment is over w/) and being a 7 level that I don't have much of a chance, especially trying to get out of my current career field, but I've wanted to be an operator for as long as I can remember. Gonna keep on keepin' on until the AF says "oh hey btw no Staffs over 9 years or 5 years TIG", or anything along those lines.

I recall you mentioning something about CCT having the only restrictions for TIG/TIS & rank. If that's the case, I'll shoot for PJ or SOWT but I love what C2 brings to the battlefield and it's my current background so I feel at home.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

#1818 - 09/04/15 06:45 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: AStelmack]
Yukon Offline
Operator

Originally Posted By: AStelmack
I recall you mentioning something about CCT having the only restrictions for TIG/TIS & rank. If that's the case, I'll shoot for PJ or SOWT
Although not specifically identified in the AFECD, the source document for entry classification requirements, the SOW recruiting page on Facebook discloses only accepting SSgt and lower applicants for retraining.

I suggest you read the retraining frustration post as to why less retrain opportunity exists for high TIS career (serving in second or subsequent enlistment) SSgts and for TSgts.

#1823 - 09/05/15 02:33 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Yukon]
AStelmack Offline
FNG

Quote:
I suggest you read the retraining frustration post as to why less retrain opportunity exists for high TIS career (serving in second or subsequent enlistment) SSgts and for TSgts.

Copy, actually after posting that, I went on a search for that thread and re-read it.

#1826 - 09/06/15 09:13 AM Re: Length of pipeline training [Re: Nick]
PepperUrAngus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: US
I've seen POV's only at CCOC (Keesler) and CCS (Pope).

AStelmack, I knew a 9 year SSGT that was accepted for retraining. Keep trying. Keep training.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Search
Custom Search
Share |
Who's Online
1 registered (MaC2k1), 11 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Van, BC15, Russ83, civ_into_mil, Jose3012
3931 Registered Users