Forum Home
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (taykuhls), 2 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
330RCSBFACS, thereddoctor, AustinD, oterorphase, doit456789
3098 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics949
Posts3,057
Members3,099
Most Online952
Dec 16th, 2016
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#770 - 02/22/15 03:58 PM Service Transer- DD 368  
dave4139 Offline
FNG
dave4139  Offline
FNG

tx
Howdy,

This is more directed at those of you who are looking into/attempting to make a transfer from ANOTHER branch, INTO the USAF.

I was prior USCG, and current USAFR who dealt with a whirlwind of ups and downs during my journey of obtaining a DD-368 Conditional Release of Service.

If anyone is currently in the process of this, I'll be glad to answer any questions and shed light on how MY PERSONAL situation went, as yours will certainly be unique in it's own way.

Additionally, I will add that it was a quite stressful process where a majority of the outcome is out of your hands. You must have a VERY STRONG backing by your command in order to succeed in this endeavor. IT IS POSSIBLE, just not common.

My experience was specifically USCG to USAFR as a PJ trainee at an RQS. The knowledge may have crossover application to other units/ career fields but *your mileage may vary*.

MODS/ADMIN, please do not hesitate to suggest someone to PM me if you think I may be able to aid them in some way. I would be glad to help.

#800 - 02/24/15 10:25 AM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: dave4139]  
jamie1775 Offline
FNG
jamie1775  Offline
FNG

California, USA
Thanks for posting. Nice to see another vet from outside the Air Force made it inside. I"m currently trying to get a CCT contract and just need to take the TAPAS and PAST in order to get a slot. How was indoc for you? How much did you prep as far as swimming is concerned?

#801 - 02/24/15 11:53 AM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: jamie1775]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: jamie1775
Nice to see another vet from outside the Air Force made it inside.
It can be done, unfortunately the odds do not favor it at all.

#802 - 02/24/15 12:54 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: dave4139]  
jamie1775 Offline
FNG
jamie1775  Offline
FNG

California, USA
I love the Air Force logic lol....They need bodies for CCT/PJ programs yet make it hard for a former Marine or any other Vet to enlist. I understand they need to fill the lower ranks and place an emphasis on being cost effective, but BA jobs make up such a small percentage of the Air Force you think they wouldn't mind. It's all good. I'll just keep doing PT and hope for the best.

#805 - 02/24/15 02:17 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: jamie1775]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: jamie1775
I love the Air Force logic lol....They need bodies for CCT/PJ programs yet make it hard for a former Marine or any other Vet to enlist.
The former enlisted are put into a career enlistment rather than a first term enlistment. The concern is the rank of prior service if brought in will if not as an NCO will soon be an NCO. This skews capability in that it not only creates a surplus of NCOs it also dilutes the NCO leading and training capability with inexperienced less qualified NCOs. The surplus NCOs also creates obstruction to being able to retain good quality first term airman into second enlistment and makes it difficult to promote good first term airman into NCO ranks.

#806 - 02/24/15 03:31 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: dave4139]  
jamie1775 Offline
FNG
jamie1775  Offline
FNG

California, USA
That makes sense too. That's exactly why the Marines don't let prior service of other branches cross-deck without losing all their rank and going through Marine bootcamp.

#818 - 02/26/15 05:16 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: dave4139]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
domheu117
Unregistered

Honestly it all depends on your command. This is two 3rd time I've put in for a conditional release and its the 3rd time its been approved. This time it only took a day.

#819 - 02/26/15 06:32 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: ]  
Yukon Offline
Operator
Yukon  Offline
Operator

Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: domheu117
Honestly it all depends on your command.
Actually it depends on the component being a reserve component or an active duty component.

Within the active duty components such would require a program such as Palace Chase or Blue to Green (Air Force to Army) being active and meeting the eligibility requirements. The Regular Air Force only has no-prior service and prior service enlistment available.

Further getting a release from one reserve component to transfer to another reserve component is easier to obtain than getting the other reserve component to enlist you into that component.

You may have gotten three separate releases approved but the lack of disclosure of getting enlisted by the other component is the lacking critical how effective and how relevant information.

Gaining release from unit to unit in the same state army and air guard component or units of the reserve component has little useful relevance to gaining release with concurrent approval to entry classify into a new military occupation such as Parerescue, Combat Control, Special Operations Weather and TACP.

#828 - 02/28/15 06:23 PM Re: Service Transer- DD 368 [Re: jamie1775]  
dave4139 Offline
FNG
dave4139  Offline
FNG

tx
Jamie1775,

I apologize if I was not 100% clear. I have made it to a USAFR PJ unit, but am not yet a PJ, nor an INDOC grad.

I transferred from USCG into USAFR, and belong to the 308th RQS but only as a "trainee". (To do such you have to attend a *selection day* and get hired/picked up by the Reserve unit which can vary for each unit but from what I gather is pretty similar)

I am slotted to go to INDOC in a few months.

I was simply hoping to offer advice for anyone in A SEPARATE branch, trying to get the necessary paperwork to get released from that branch as it can be quite an enduring process.

POOL Workouts prior to indoc:

Having not been to INDOC yet......all I can say is that my supervisors made me test out to graduation standards of indoc skills and tests prior to giving me the blessing to get orders for indoc. Full pt test and all water confidence skills included.

I would train AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE prior to going. The more comfortable you are the better it will be, and why not learn skills such as knot tying, ditch and don, the creed, mission statement, fallen comrades before going.

Our unit requires trainees/cones to do PT tests with pushups/pullups/situps/flutterkicks, 3 mile run, 1500m fin. I would obtain graduate standards and above in all these fields if you can.

UW, ten ups, ditch/don, knot tying, mask snorkel, doom ups, all of this can be found online, use that to your advantage.

That's my 2 pesos, but I'm just a normal guy off the street.

Popular Topics(Views)